Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Disallow Third Party Application Downloads

Hello

We are running BES 4.1.7.

I notice that there is a BES IT Policy to disable 3rd party application downloads. This confuses me a little... Smiley Happy

Does this mean *any* application that has been authored by non-RIM companies? How do we know who they have been authored by? And is there any way to grant an exception list/whitelist of some sort.

We do want to prevent users from randomly downloading non-work related apps (e.g. Facebook), but at the same time, we have several applications that are provided to us by non-RIM sources (e.g. Google Maps, Finance apps etc). Will this affect those?

-M

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Disallow Third Party Application Downloads

Yes if you block all then you will remove those.

You need to create a software config.

Some info to help you out.

IT POLICY
You can find all the available IT policies from the Policy Reference Guide @
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067/645045/7963/1139827/Bla...

The Admin Guide will give you details information of how to assign IT policy
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3510/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_Wireless_Software_Upgrad...

Basically
1. In the BlackBerry® Manager, in the left pane, click BlackBerry Domain.
2. On the Global tab, click Edit Properties.
3. Click IT Policy.
4. In the IT Policy Administration section, double-click IT Policies.
5. Click an IT policy.
6. Click Properties.

KB05392 - How to control and remove third-party applications using a software configuration

KB20700 Block wireless service provider Virtual Preload VPL icons

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

Thanks knotty.

So, basically, you are saying that if we push these applications out via a software configuration then the "disallow third party application downloads" policy won't affect these applications? Regardless of who 'authored' them?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

That is the way I understand it. I would get a device and test it out before rolling it out.

I have not pushed out any apps or controlled any yet. We have a fairly open system at the moment.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Regular Contributor

Thanks, will test it out once I have spare devices!

From reading on the internet forums, some people are saying that  if the 'Disallow 3rd Party app downloads' is set to TRUE, then even applications pushed out via a Software Configuration are blocked, whereas other people are saying that the Software Config policy should overide the IT Policy (as you are saying).

*confused*

Would be interesting to hear from anyone that has actually tested this!

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Proximus

In our situation we have set 'Disallow 3rd Party app downloads' to TRUE and now the applications that are pushed out via the Software Configuration are blocked.

We are still searching for a solution how to make exceptions for certain pushed applications (in our case Mobile Salesforce)

Kindest regards,

Marcel - www.ictdesk.net

New Contributor
My Device: 8520-9300-8350i
My Carrier: Movistar-NEXTEL-Claro

Hi ictdesk

Did you find a solution for those apps pushed by the BES?

Thx