Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
johntan
My Device: 9800

Domino BES - Able to send/read Notes Encryption email but NOT reply/forward.

5.02 MR 3 (Bundle 119)

Remote, SQL

Domino Release 8.5.1 FP5 HF86

Description : Users were able to send (create new) & read encrypted email on their blackberry device but the moment they attempt to reply or forward an email in encrypted format, it returns with an error on the delivery failure email :-

"Message Status: Service could not encrypt message"

Configuration on our IT Policy does not block it.

"Disable Notes Native Encryption Forward and reply" is set to "No"

S/MIME is turn on as well as per RIM Kbase :-

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/14334/Configure_SMIME_messaging_619764_11.jsp

However, on certain devices the option "Turn on S/MIME message processing" is set to "No" Despite the server server setting as per above. There is no way to change it for individually, the dropdown box is missing.

Manage user > User Information > Messaging configuration > Default Configuration

Is S/MIME relevant and any idea how I can sort this out? Your feedback is much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
johntan

Re: Domino BES - Able to send/read Notes Encryption email but NOT reply/forward.

Nobody? This part of the forum feels like deserted.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
fermanagh
My Device: Z30

Re: Domino BES - Able to send/read Notes Encryption email but NOT reply/forward.

Hi there,

Are you saying that every single user has this issue?

If not, have all users imported their Notes ID into their mailfile, see the following KB from RIM:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05489

If it is indeed a 'global' issue, are you sure that 'Disable Notes Native Encryption Forward And Reply' rule is not set to 'Yes'?

Don't forget to hit like if I resolved your issue! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
johntan

Yes I am very sure about the IT policy rules, it's not set to 'Yes'
In general we do import the notes ID (Via Lotus notes web access) which is one of the reason why we can read encrypted email in the first place

To further test the IT policy, I tried applying blank IT Policy but it doesn't seem to help either. There are some report of encrypted email 'forwarding' might work occasionally but i was not able to replicate that. 'Replying' email will never work though...
Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
fermanagh

OK, this is a tough one...maybe the S/MIME config could be clashing with the Notes encryption setting?

Check if you have these IT Policies set:

S/MIME Force Digital Signature IT policy rule and the S/MIME Force Encrypted Messages IT policy rule. 

I'd disable S/MIME and then try again. Also, extract the debug handheld logs and look for any errors on there when straight after you attempt to reply or forward.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
fermanagh

Failing my suggestions, I'd advise you to open a case with RIM support as it could be a bug, your issue doesn't make sense as you've checked everything.Did you have this issue before you upgraded to MR3?

Have you looked through the release notes for any known issues?

Please use plain text.