Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
britdavis
My Device: Not Specified

E2K3, E2K7 on WS08 and CDO, MAPI, Store.exe

Surely I am not the first to get into this, but here goes:

My current environment is BES 4.1.5 with Exchange 2003 SP2 (both on Windows Server 2003 SP2), using CDO and MAPI 6.5.7651.61 on both servers. Store.exe is also 6.5.7651.61.

I am slowly migrating users to Exchange 2007 SP1 (running on Windows Server 2008) and will have a period of coexistence where there will be BES users on each version of Exchange.

Since Exchange 2007 does not include CDO or MAPI libraries, they have to be installed. The only version of CDO and MAPI that is supported on Windows Server 2008 is 6.5.8022.0.

This means that I have to update CDO and MAPI on my BES server, so that they match versions. I would also then need to update CDO and MAPI on my Exchange 2003 server for the same matching requirement.

Per MS KB929751, CDO.dll 6.5.7888 and above cannot access Store.exe unless Store.exe is 6.5.7652.9 and above. This means that I have to update my E2K3 Store.exe via hotfix KB929751, KB944254, KB948744 or KB951619. If I choose the most recent, which makes sense if you read the progression of hotfixes, you end up replacing Store.exe (and related files) with version 6.5.7653.36.

So I have to install on E2K3 Store.exe version 6.5.7653.36 and CDO and MAPI versions 6.5.8022.0.

This means I have matching CDO and MAPI between all three servers, and that my Store.exe is accessible from the new versions.

For obvious reasons, changing Store.exe and CDO/MAPI on my existing Exchange server is risky and I have to make sure that the combination of the versions will work.

Can somebody please look into this coexistence issue before I proceed?

Thanks,

Brit

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: E2K3, E2K7 on WS08 and CDO, MAPI, Store.exe

Don't touch your current Exchange 2003 Server.

Move your BES Admin mailbox to the Exchange 2007 Server first and update the MAPI / CDO Components on the BES to be what they should be for Exchange 2007 on WS 2008.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
britdavis

Andy,

Thanks for the quick response and confident answer.

Two questions remain:

1. So the only MAPI/CDO calls are between BES and the BESAdmin mailbox?

2. Can I NOT move the user mailboxes first? If not, why? If not so, can you give me the logic behind both approaches?

Thanks,

Brit

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

Simply put only one hard and fast rule lives in the BES / Exchange & MAPI / CDO world: The version of the components on the BES should be at or above the highest version on any Exchange server you're BES is communicating with.

That said, the BES registers connections with each BES users mailbox, so the MAPI/RPC communication happens between BES and every BES user mailbox / Exchange server ... the BESAdmin mailbox serves as a transport of sorts.  It is how BES makes its connection to Exchange.

RIM's recommendation is to move BESAdmin first and then users: KB14502 - How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 or Mic.... To be honest, from a technical perspective I can't see why you would NEED to move this first, but from anadministrative / management standpoint, it makes sense to move it first.  I'm not sure if there are MAPI/CDO issues with having the mailbox on the old server; as I've never touched an environment that does it this way ... always followed RIMs recommendations here.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
britdavis

So...according to what you are saying...if there are MAPI calls to user mailboxes, and some have been moved to E2K7, then there will be MAPI calls going from the BES to both E2K3 and E2K7, regardless of where the BESAdmin mailbox is.

If you re-read my original post, you will see that this is therefore an issue. Assuming I have not missed anything, how do you reconcile RIM's recommendation (which does not consider E2K7 on WS08) with the facts that have been outlined?

Did I miss something?

-Brit

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

You didn't miss a thing; I did.  I had read the WS2008 thing and have seen a KB article on it, but haven't actually done this myself.

The procedure you've outlinedwith upgrading the MAPI / CDO components on 2003 per the MS article are correct and also implementing the version for WS2008/EX2007.

Where is RIMs recommendation in this different than the procedure you're following; that I don't see.You're following their recommendation, just with a newer version of the MAPI/CDO components.

That said, you're probably one of the first people to do this; in production that is.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
britdavis

Dang. I wish somebody from RIM could verify all this, especially having to change Store.exe.

I am new to these forums. Are they monitored by RIM engineers?

Is there a way to bring this up? I don't have a T-support contract.

-Brit

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

They are monitored ... but no one can guarantee the appropriate person will see this thread.

Personally, the fact that you're using a new deployment with Exchange 2007 (EX2007 + WS2008 is brand new), it'd be worht a T-Support call to get an official / supported answer ... unfortunately I don't think you'll find many people with this setup (You're the first I've seen).

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
vector

[ Edited ]

Hello britdavis,

The newer version of MAPI 1.2.1 (compatible with Windows 2008) has a few changes made in it's design.

However full testing with this package is not completed at this time.

From the Microsoft download site (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=En) search for ExchangeMapiCdo

This will present 2 links.

One of the links is newer than the other (dated 6/18/2008)

Select this link

In the “Files in This Download” section there are 2 files:

ExchangeMapiCdo.EXE
ExchangeMapiCdo.MSI

The EXE is the old version we currently support, and the MSI is the newer version which is not currently fully tested

Download and install the EXE version, and this will provide you with version 6.5.7974

We are having the current KBs updated to reflect this until the new version is supported.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding this.

Message Edited by vector on 06-30-2008 10:52 AM
Message Edited by vector on 06-30-2008 10:53 AM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
britdavis

Hi Vector,

Thanks for the note. I think that information is part of the BB KB article that is kind of famous by now. There are a few questions that remain:

1. WS08 does not support CDO 6.5.7974. You have to use the MSI version, 6.5.8022.0.

2. Since the CDO version of BES needs to be the same or greater, you must therefore install 6.5.8022.0 on BES as well.

3. My E2K3 Store.exe is 6.5.7651.61, which cannot be accessed by CDO 6.5.7888 and above. I will need to update Store.exe to 6.5.7653.36. Can you comment on this?

4. If all this is done, in theory, I should have BES able to access E2K3 on WS03 and E2K7 on WS08. Can you comment on this?

Thanks,

Brit

Please use plain text.