Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
BBSupport21
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Effect of Changing Email Recon from "Handheld" to "Mailbox and Handheld"

[ Edited ]

How will changing this option affect an established user?  For instance, the user has been maintaining his BlackBerry with email reconciliation set to "Handheld" only, so deleting on the handheld did not affect the user's mailbox.  Over time, the user's Outlook mailbox grew to hundreds of messages, while he maintained his BlackBerry inbox to only hold recent messages (and deleted the rest). 

Clearly, email reconciliation needs to be changed to "Mailbox and Handheld," but how will this affect the hundreds of emails in the Outlook mailbox?  The user does not want to lose those emails, but is would like the 2-way sync going forward.  Will changing this option delete the emails in the Outlook mailbox that had previously been deleted from the BlackBerry?  The user is receiving email through a BES...

Thanks.

Message Edited by BBSupport21 on 04-22-2009 01:54 PM
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
HighRoad
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: Effect of Changing Email Recon from "Handheld" to "Mailbox and Handheld"

Hey BBsupport21,

flipping the option back to "Mailbox and Handheld" would only affect new email received on the BlackBerry, there would be no attempt to reconcile older messages

I hope this helps :robotwink:

BlackBerry Certification
Having the Knowledge is One Thing. Demonstrating It is Another
http://www.blackberry.com/certification
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
OzBBerry42
My Device: 8300

Re: Effect of Changing Email Recon from "Handheld" to "Mailbox and Handheld"

Hello

HighRoad is correct.

The BES cannot reconcile themessages on the account back to the HH as they HH does not have them, and thus they cannot be 'paired'.

Thus only messages  that are new that are received by both and then reconciled will be deleted.

Ideally he wants to  go to Outlook and fix this and then change the handset to Mailbox and Handheld. This will ensure that he is happy with both versions before syncing.

Then when he gets email on the H he can delete (form both) or File them (which will be on both).

Hope that helps.

Checked out my Blackberry FAQ's and Links to Needed Articles here
http://darkeen.homelinux.com/index.php/Blackberryfaq
Please use plain text.