Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: 9780

Email Delivery on Holiday - Is this possible?

If a user goes on holiday with his BB and disables delivery of emails to the handheld, is there a way of getting these emails delivered back to his device on his return?

A manager wants to take his BB on holiday and use it solely as a phone. Previously he's been told (not by me!) that he can disable emails being sent to his device, but on his return he can retick the box in his email options, and then emails that were sent to him whilst he was away, will be downloaded. I don't think this is possible, and as he has them in Outlook why would he want to?

So is there any way of doing this? What other options are there? From what I can see the only options are to leave it as it is during his holiday and receive all mail (and associated data charges), or miss out on a couple of weeks mail on his BB.

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: SingTel

Re: Email Delivery on Holiday - Is this possible?

[ Edited ]

How long will he be away for?

If it is not too long he can turn off mobile data on the device side and the BES will treat it as if it is out of coverage and queue the emails for him in the pending message queue. He can then still use the phone for phone/sms.

The emails will then be delivered when he turns the mobile data back on.

If you disable message redirection from the server side he will not receive the messages which arrive during his vacation.

Edit to add the steps for turning off mobile data:

• On the Home screen, click the connections area at the top of the screen, or click the Manage Connections icon.
  • Click Networks and Connections > Mobile Network.
  • To turn on or turn off data service, change the Data Services field.
  • Press the Menu key > Close.
New Contributor
My Device: 9780

Hi Hobbitsgiant,

Thanks for the reply. The user is going to be away for a week, but ideally we would want a solution for having someone away for 2 weeks. How long do messages stay in the pending message queue for?

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: SingTel

Hi Pmidds,

It is best for 7 days or less. The reasons for this are detailed in the article below:-

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/KB01868

This timeframe is non configurable.