Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

ccsonline
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Exchange 2007 coexisting with Exchange 2003

I need some guidance on the steps and timing of the steps in regards to our BES 4.1.6 server during the implementation of Exchange 2007 which will coexist with existing Exchange 2003 servers for a period of time.  The plan for the Exchange migration is to have Exchange 2007 CCR with the active mailbox server in the same site as the existing back end 2003 servers.  These servers will coexist for a while to give us time to move mailboxes to the new 2007 mailbox servers.  What do I need to do to the BES server before, during, and after the migration and coexistence, and after the old back end servers are decommissioned.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Exchange 2007 coexisting with Exchange 2003

[ Edited ]

Make sure the BB service account (besadmin) has correct permissions as per http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02276

on your Exch 2007. Also make sure to move your besadmin mailbox to new Exch 2007.

After moving a mailbox wait for few minutes and chk if BB is working. If not you can run 'handheldcleanup' with '-u' switch.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB00140 

Message Edited by BBsingh on 10-05-2008 09:37 AM
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

... and my favorite KB Article of them all: KB14502 - How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server from Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 or Mic...
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
ccsonline

First, thank you for taking the time to respond. 

I would not have posted this request before looking at the existing KB articles.  I will try to state my request differently...What if anything different do I need to do with BES to coexist with Exchange 2003 Back End servers as well as a new 2007 mailbox server?  What do I need to do to prep for the new mailbox server, what do I need to do while the servers are coexisting, what do I need to do to prep for the 2003 servers going being decommissioned, what do I need to do once the 2003 servers are gone?

I appreciate any guidance on this.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MMMM

AndyDufresne will know more.  But this is what I have done so far it may not be correct but it is working.

To start I have a legacy server Exchange 2003 sp2 on Windows 2003 R2 and a Second server for BES running on Windows 2003 R2. They work without error.

Then add new server Windows 2008 sp1 with Exchange 2007 running HT, CA, Mailbox.

Verified routing groups are all in place and a normal account (non-blackberry user) can send and receive emails between 2003 and 2007 and send receive out to the internet.

You need to set the BES permissions on the new server Windows 2008 sp1 with Exchange 2007. This way BESadmin will be able to open the mailboxes. Follow this:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12483&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

You most likely will get the error “WARNING: Appropriate ACE is already present on object”, it just means the permissions were already brought over from old.

From the new server Windows 2008 sp1 with Exchange 2007 go to the Exchange Management Console > Recipient Configuration > Mailbox > and find a Guinea Pig account (not someone important).

Right click the Mailbox and choose Move Mailbox, let the wizard do its thing.

Go to the BES Manager and click on the Server. Find the poor user that you just moved and click on them.  In the lower pane you will see “Mail Server.”  At first it should show the old server, until the new server appears the user will not be able to send or receive email via blackberry.  Be patient; give it a bit (ok a real long time maybe 10 to 15 minutes) it should switch to the new server.   Once it switches test.

Once that is done, and you have tested every little piece.  You can move all the other boxes and pub folders etc.  make sure everything is still working. 

Then after sometime, build new server for BES and migrate off the old, I am waiting for 2008 support before I do this part (holding breath … turning blue).

Some things to note:

You will see errors in the application log. They do go away once the user’s new “Mail Server” appears in their status in the BES manager.

Once you move the user to new exchange server, then you must manage the user from there and not the old ADCU 2003.

You are also at some point supposed to move the BES admin account over to the new exchange 2007 server. Not sure when or why, but so far have not seen any issue with waiting.

And last, from the 2007 Exchange, you can move the user back to the 2003 and things still work (well, at least for me)

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

ccsonline wrote:

First, thank you for taking the time to respond. 

I would not have posted this request before looking at the existing KB articles.  I will try to state my request differently...What if anything different do I need to do with BES to coexist with Exchange 2003 Back End servers as well as a new 2007 mailbox server?  What do I need to do to prep for the new mailbox server, what do I need to do while the servers are coexisting, what do I need to do to prep for the 2003 servers going being decommissioned, what do I need to do once the 2003 servers are gone?

I appreciate any guidance on this.

The funny thing is all of these questions are answered by yhe KB article.  Once all the mailboxes are moved to 2007, remove the Exchange 2003 servers from your Org.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
ccsonline

MMMM wrote:

AndyDufresne will know more.  But this is what I have done so far it may not be correct but it is working.

To start I have a legacy server Exchange 2003 sp2 on Windows 2003 R2 and a Second server for BES running on Windows 2003 R2. They work without error.

Then add new server Windows 2008 sp1 with Exchange 2007 running HT, CA, Mailbox.

Verified routing groups are all in place and a normal account (non-blackberry user) can send and receive emails between 2003 and 2007 and send receive out to the internet.

You need to set the BES permissions on the new server Windows 2008 sp1 with Exchange 2007. This way BESadmin will be able to open the mailboxes. Follow this:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12483&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

You most likely will get the error “WARNING: Appropriate ACE is already present on object”, it just means the permissions were already brought over from old.

From the new server Windows 2008 sp1 with Exchange 2007 go to the Exchange Management Console > Recipient Configuration > Mailbox > and find a Guinea Pig account (not someone important).

Right click the Mailbox and choose Move Mailbox, let the wizard do its thing.

Go to the BES Manager and click on the Server. Find the poor user that you just moved and click on them.  In the lower pane you will see “Mail Server.”  At first it should show the old server, until the new server appears the user will not be able to send or receive email via blackberry.  Be patient; give it a bit (ok a real long time maybe 10 to 15 minutes) it should switch to the new server.   Once it switches test.

Once that is done, and you have tested every little piece.  You can move all the other boxes and pub folders etc.  make sure everything is still working. 

Then after sometime, build new server for BES and migrate off the old, I am waiting for 2008 support before I do this part (holding breath … turning blue).

Some things to note:

You will see errors in the application log. They do go away once the user’s new “Mail Server” appears in their status in the BES manager.

Once you move the user to new exchange server, then you must manage the user from there and not the old ADCU 2003.

You are also at some point supposed to move the BES admin account over to the new exchange 2007 server. Not sure when or why, but so far have not seen any issue with waiting.

And last, from the 2007 Exchange, you can move the user back to the 2003 and things still work (well, at least for me)

Thanks MMMM, that is what I needed.
Please use plain text.