Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Exchange 2010 help

I am trying to migrate from Exchange 2007 to 2010 and I have a Blackberry Server that I have to keep working.  As best I can tell the only solution for now is to maintain a 2007 server to act as a gateway to the 2010 server.  My current setup is a 2007 server with the Hub Role and Client Access role that also has the BB server installed and then another 2007 server with only the Mailbox role installed.  I was hoping to setup a 2010 server with all roles and then migrate the mailboxes to the 2010 server.  I would leave the Hub/CAS/BB server running until a 2010 BB solution is released.  To test this I have moved one of my BB users from 2007 to 2010.  The user works fine from an Exchange/Outlook/SMTP standpoint but doesn't work at all from a BB standpoint.  New email is not forwarded to the device nor can email be sent from the device.  At first the email would show a red X then it changed to a clock on the device.  I am not sure how to verify where the breakdown is.  Any help or pointers are much appreciated.

Brian Hoyt

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Exchange 2010 help

Blackberry Enterprise Server compatibility chart
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/server_compatibility.jsp#tab_tab_compatibility

Keep all BES users on 2007 for now.

or if you like to play

Snip from somewhere

Our Solution
With all of these requirements, and issues, we came up with a very simple solution; we would deploy Exchange 2007 in a new Windows Server 2008 Active Directory forest. This would require deploy both a Client Access Server and a Mailbox Server based on Exchange 2007. The reason we had to deploy the Client Access Server even though we only need a Mailbox Server for BES integration is because the first Exchange 2007 server in a new Exchange organization must be a Client Access Server. Once the Exchange 2007 server is deployed, we would then deploy BES. Only after we have our Exchange 2007 “environment” implemented, would we begin deployment of Exchange 2010. First we would install a Windows Server 2008 R2 server as the operating system for our first Exchange 2010 server, which would need to be a Client Access Server, just like Exchange 2007. We would then install the Exchange 2010 Client Access Server, and the subsequent roles of Exchange 2010, based on our individual design specifications. Using this methodology, we are able to provide Blackberry access via BES to our Exchange 2010 environment.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Wow...what a pain. I can't believe that RIM would give such lame support for their own devices. I  mean iphone, droid, and windows phones have exchange support for FREE out of THE BOX. I love my BB and definitely don't want to give it up, but they are pretty much punishing the small business.

My question is...do you think this solution would work for BPS or any work around. BPS is even worse since it won't work on 2008...any work arounds for that as well?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Exchange 2010 has been out for like what two weeks? I don't think it is totally unrealistic to think that RIM needs some time to test it as well as everyone else. Its not like Microsoft is always upfront with letting vendors see products before they come out. And with some of the massive changes that happen in EX10, you could understand why RIM might not have been ready.

And on a side note, who the heck upgrades to 2010 now anyways, I would never migrate my mail infrastructure to a new platform a week or two after it came out.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Just because they don't support ex10 doesn't mean they don't support exchange appnet, and what the heck does that have to do with small buisiness?

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor

"And on a side note, who the heck upgrades to 2010 now anyways, I would never migrate my mail infrastructure to a new platform a week or two after it came out."

We standardized on Windows Server 2008 R2 with mostly Hyper-V based virtualization and Windows 7 in August of this year.  We are a school so we try to make all changes in June-Aug.  I have been waiting for Exchange 2010 to build a new 2008R2 Hyper-V based Exchange server.  Now I find that I have to hold onto a physical W2K3R2 and E2K7 server just to host BB services.

That is who goes to a new mail infrastructure.