Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

schott
My Device: Not Specified

Exchange migration

We are migrating from lotus notes to exchange and we have been informed that our Blackberry's must be wiped clean before we can activate on the exchange bes. Does anyone have a better solution? My users are losing all ther data because of this migration. We were not able to roll out the desktop software for them to do a local backup of there data.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Exchange migration

There is no other / better solution.

If data needs to be backed up and restored at some point you need to use DM.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor
JBarsodi

What data outside of what is sync'd from the mailbox are you worried about loosing?
My Device: Bold

I'd guess all of the information backed up via Automatic Wireless Backup ... and any applications installed
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor
JBarsodi

Yes, that is what I meant.  Everything is sync'd wirelessly, except for 3rd party apps.  That's why I love my company's policy, that we only support the Messaging data, not 3rd party apps.  Most of what our helpdesk troubleshoots with BB's is the stupid 3rd party apps.

The original poster didn't specify or mention 3rd apps, that is why I questioned what exactly they will be loosing. 

Hello schott,

A security wipe will erase any/all user related data.

For example, you might have "BrickBreaker" game installed, a security wipe will not erase that application, but simply your highest score

On a similar note, Tasks, Memo's, Calendar, Messages are all applications on the BlackBerry device, a security wipe will clean up/clear out all the information that these applications display to the user.

For PIM items, everything will be synchronized over after your migrate to Exchange and reactivate these users,

A pre-population of email will also take place, but not every single email message from the mailbox will come over to the newly activated devices.

I hope this helps clarify what you will/will not be loosing during your migration process.

Is there something very specific your users would like to retain after a wipe, maybe we can collaboratively assist with that request :smileyhappy: