Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: 90000
My Carrier: VF

Exchange server IOPS increase due to BES

[ Edited ]

Hi

The oft quoted figure for the effect of BES servers on Exchange is that BES will increase the amount of IOPS by almost four times.

RIM's article here seems to confirm this:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/3532/Performance_Benchmarking_Guide.pdf

"From the baseline, the largest increase occurred with all BlackBerry features (that were benchmarked) enabled. Disk transfers /sec grew from 77.52 to 368.97. Even though there was a 3.76-time increase in disk transfers /sec, this number is well below the maximum capacity that the disk subsystem can handle.

Out of the individual features that were benchmarked, RIM observed that wireless email reconciliation, along with the core BlackBerry features enabled (email, calendar, sent item redirection) caused the largest increase in disk use. Disk transfers /sec grew from 77.52 to 335.82, which was a 3.33-time increase in disk transfers /sec."

That said I have heard people say that with each revision of BES, this figure lowers and lowers until it is practically the same as Outlook.

Can anyone confirm this? Is this in reference to Exchange 2003 only, or more specifically to 2007 and 2010 where IO is handheld much more efficiently by Exchange anyway?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Exchange server IOPS increase due to BES

thats what it is on 2003.

and each newer version it gets better to almost an outlook user.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: 9700

Re: Exchange server IOPS increase due to BES

[ Edited ]

As Knotty mentioned - document is for Exchange 2003. Things have changed on RIM side as well as Exchange side. Actually a lot has changed on Exchange side. 

I have blogged about it

Look for the example and see how the numbers have changed in the last few years. Hope it helps.

- BBExpert2
InsideBES.blogspot.com