Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
BenoitCote
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

From BESX 5.x to BlackBerry Enterprise Services 10

Hi,

I recently attended two different Blackberry events and was very pleased with the outcome of it all(One was the BlackBerry Forums 2012 and the other Blackberry Jam World Tour). One of the questions I had, which I wasn't able to ask was the following.

We all know that BESx doesn't use any CAL licences or has any software cost per say compared to it's BES counterpart which has more features and IT policies, etc which is a paid service(per CAL ). With the migration to the new BlackBerry Enterprise Services 10 in 2013, from what I understood, all devices will be per CAL basis.. which means cost. Will there be a limited portion(similar to BESx) available for us customers that don't need the full blown version of BES or are we gonna have to add the cost of CAL's to our budget starting next year?

If anyone from RIM can answer this, please post here or PM me for more information. This is definitely a piece of information I need to know.

Thanks alot and BB10 rocks.

Ben

Server : BESx 5.0.4(Bundle 38),Mobile Fusion 6.2.0(Bundle 11), UDS 6.1.2(Bundle 16), Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 SP2, 100 users.
Server : BES10(BDS 6.2.0(Bundle 45)), BMS 6.4.0(Bundle 7), UDS 6.2.1(Bundle 10)
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: From BESX 5.x to BlackBerry Enterprise Services 10

Cant really say at this time.

BB10 for small bussiness will be able to get email via EAS and no need for BES really unless you want to manage devices with policies.

there are no free mobile management platforms and BES 10 to me is a steal if you buy CALs in bulk

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
BenoitCote
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Thanks for the quick reply KnottyRope.

I understand that buying CAL's in bulk is a bargain, but as a provincial government operated college, we are limited by budgets.. which I don't control. I'm just the admin guy doing the leg work. I just want to make sure I give my supervisor the right information for the next year to come so that we are able to do the full switch to BES10 and not have issues with Finance.

I'll wait for RIM to release more information in the coming months.

Thanks alot,

Benoit

Server : BESx 5.0.4(Bundle 38),Mobile Fusion 6.2.0(Bundle 11), UDS 6.1.2(Bundle 16), Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 SP2, 100 users.
Server : BES10(BDS 6.2.0(Bundle 45)), BMS 6.4.0(Bundle 7), UDS 6.2.1(Bundle 10)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
frenettem
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 - STL100-3
My Carrier: Bell Canada

[ Edited ]

I used MS Exchange ActiveSync when I found that the BESx wasn't supported.  Select Advanced when you are setting up a new account.

Please use plain text.