Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
SuperG
My Device: None -BB Admin with no BB...*sigh*

Re: Handhelds on ONE mail server activate painfully slow (hours)

[ Edited ]

After several long days on the phone with RIM and no clue as to what is occurring I think I may have cracked the code and if my theory is correct, it's not a RIM issue.

I installed over half a dozen additional test boxes, using various iterations of 5.0.x and MAPI/CDOs. None of them would work. I tried reusing the original IP and I tried using the IP of servers known to work with no resolution to the issue at all. Finally, I tried installing on a server 2003 (32 Bit) machine and WHALLA!! communication was normal. This narrowed it down to the fact that there is an issue of communication between a 2008 64 bit box and this mail server which is 2003 SP2 32 bit.

I did some searching and came upon my old nemesis: Receive Side Scaling (RSS)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951037

We did battle with RSS a while back when we were having some backup problems and when I checked the status of RSS on the NIC in the problematic mail server it was still turned on whereas it is disabled on all the other mail servers.

I think I've got my suspect cornered, but I need to wait for an outage window tonight to go all Columbo on it....more to come...

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

if that is the cause, kudos to you.

I wonder how many others this snake has bitten

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
SuperG
My Device: None -BB Admin with no BB...*sigh*

SUCCESS!!!!

Turned off RSS in Device Manager under the Properties for the Network Card>Advanced. The mail server dropped 3 pings and after bouncing the BES servers everything responds normally. Talk about your needle in a haystack.

This issue shows it's head a lot on Broadcom Onboard NICs on Dell servers but isn't isolated to either.

So, in conclusion: If you have a 64 Bit BES server talking to a W2K3 SP2 32 Bit Mail Server and traffic is so slow you can't get activations to progress, verify that the mail server has RSS (Receive Side Scaling) disabled.

Thanks for walking through the various spots to look Knotty, and extra set of eyes always helps keep the wheels moving.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

glad you stuck with it, looked at other options, and posted the solution here for others to see.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.