Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
corblimey
My Device: Not Specified

Hosted Exchange and BES providers in the UK

Anyone have a list of ISPs in the UK that provide hosted Exchange mailboxes with BES support too.

Most only seem to support email syncing via BlackBerry's Internet Services which looks like a half baked solution to me.

Thanks in advance

BTW not sure which fourm this should be in, please move it if it's not in the right place

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Hosted Exchange and BES providers in the UK

it's the right place.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/hosted/#tab_tab_partners

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
corblimey

Easy when you know where to look, thanks for the link.  I can't find a similar link on the UK website :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

I did not know... I just did a google search on :
hosted bes site:blackberry.com

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
Developer
kerseyr
My Device: 8900

Blimey,

Are you looking for an ISP like BT, Bulldog, Sky, Be, that supply you with a Broadband connection and sometimes an email address as well. Or are you looking specifically for a hosted exchange solution that offers hosted BES as well?

The two are very different. If your looking for the first of the two I'm pretty sure no ISP will offer excahhnge type mail solution. Access will likely be via IMAP or POP3 protocols (BIS style).

There are some hosted exchange/blackberry providers in the UK. Let me know if this is what your lookign for and I'll point you in the right direction.

R.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
corblimey

Thanks for the help guys.

I was looking for hosted exchange with hosted BES. I found these guys http://www.simplymailsolutions.com/ and they were very helpful.

£10 per monthn for a 2GB exchnage mailbox + £7 for BES per month. Then I found this article https://secure.simplymailsolutions.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid... which says you need a BES traiff with your phone contract. I phoned vodafone and ended up being passed from consumer customer services to tech support to corporate customer support and back to consumer support without being any the wiser. Is it really this difficult to set up a phone with syncing?

In the end I suggested my client buy phone that supports Activesync!

Seems to me that Blackberry is going from the no 1 push email device provider to the back of the queue very quickly unless they do something about licencing etc. Blackberrys are nice bits of kit but they don't do anything special anymore so what they do do should be very simple to provision and be priced according to the current market which, unless I've been misled, they don't.
Please use plain text.
Developer
kerseyr

Blimey,

You would need to ask VF to give you BIS access or BES access on your SIM. They basically have to assign you the blackberry.net APN on their systems and also ensure you are provisioned for the correct accesss (BIS/BES) at the RIM Relay/ provisioning server.

BIS is typically cheaper as it is designed for consumers on the street. It will support POP3, IMAP and ActiveSynce using Outlook Web Access.

BES is designed for corporate customers and is usually more expensive as you get more functionality. You would need a BES (or hosted BES) to enterprise activate against.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
corblimey

That's what suprised me about all this.  It all seems very confusing and overcomplicated.

• I have to make sure my sim is provised for either BIS or BES
  • I have to try and make my phone provider knows I need a sim update (much easier said than done!)
  • I have to understand the difference between BIS and BES and choose between them get get a partial sync solution or full sync solution

or

I simply get an activesync phone with Internet access and a hosted exchange mailbox.

Sorry, this wasn't supposed to turn into rant it was a genuine request for info and the help is much appreciated.  I'm just a little flabbergasted by the unnecessary complexity of this product not to mention the cost.

Please use plain text.
Developer
kerseyr

Is it that hard...?

Ring VF say you want BlackBerry Enterprise access added to you SIM.

Ring hosted exchange provider and ask for mail box and activation password.

If you need Internet access on the Activesync device youll need to request internet access any way? If you want to sync it against a exchange server you need to setup a mailbox with provider.

Both seem as complex to arrange!

Easiest one is... suggest to user push email will never take off.... use the phone ;-)

Please use plain text.
liambonthron
My Device: Curve 8800
My Carrier: 02

Hey,

If you are still looking for Hosted Exchange + BES have a look at http://www.fruitmobile.co.uk/content/default.asp?page=s26_8

25GB mailbox, Full BES, AntiSPAM and all the bells and whistles you would expect £6 per mailbox + £8 per BES connection
Please use plain text.