Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
dajogejr
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Hosted Exchange and Sub Folders

Hello all..

New to the forum, new to Blackberry.  As the IT guy at the office, we're finally moving on a mobile messaging solution.

Sorry in advance for the long winded, detailed post.

Our comany does not internally host or use an exchange server, our Email provider does.

They offer hosted exchange with ActiveSync (Windows) and Blackberry Sync capabilities.

I have a Verizon Curve 8330.  I am setup on the blackberry sync, I am the administrator of our hosted email.

The phone sync'd my contacts, my calendar and my inbox fine.

On Exchange, I have sub folders on my inbox (about 8 or 10)

I've gone into Email Options, Email Settings and expanded the folder list in Folder Redirection.

I've checked the sub folders I'd like to sync and be able to see.

I've reconsiled manually (this is set to auto reconsile over the air) and none of this data is available, it says folders are empty.

I just got the phone yesterday, set it to pull 2 weeks worth of data and it has PLENTY of storage space available.

It does see all my sub folders under the inbox, it just will not sync with them.

Otherwise....it works perfectly.  Inbox, sent items, contacts and calendar sync beautifully.

Through Blackberry's site, I made sure my phone had the most up to date software as well.

Thanks in advance!!

Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Hosted Exchange and Sub Folders

Folders only work with BlackBerry Enterprise Server.  You would have to have BES support from your Hosted Exchange provider to have those capabilities.

You're probably getting your Exchange email on your BlackBerry through through BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) via OWA (Outlook Web Access) which doesn't support Folders.

If you go into Options --> Advanced Options --> Service Books, you will see about 10 Service Books that start with "Desktop[" (sans quotes) if your connecting through a BES.

For each BIS Email account you will see two service books for each email address which is being delivered to the device - name@email.com[CMIME] and name@email.com[CICAL].

And of course, a hosted BES account will typically cost extra (maybe $5-$15/mo) - in addition to the BlackBerry service provided by your Carrier - which is typically significantly more expensive for Enterprise rather than Personal service (about $60 vs. $35/month).

Jerry
Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart
My Device: Z10

[ Edited ]
When you setup an outlook rule, that certain email goes into the certain sub-folder in you inbox, unless you do folder redirection in your device and select that folder, you would not see new email that matches that rule in your handheld inbox. It will not sync old messages from those folders even if you select them in folder redirection. BES agent will redirect email to a handheld just if they end up in main outlook inbox. When you configure folder redirection it will check those folders too and forward them to a handheld..
Message Edited by bbinmyhart on 02-13-2009 08:45 AM
Contributor
dajogejr

I see 9 items starting with Desktop, starting with [BrowserConfig] and ending with [CICAL]

Does this mean we are in fact using BES?

Contributor
dajogejr

bb...

I did expand AND check these folders in the folders redirection on my device.

Should I have to set up the same rules in the device that I have setup within Outlook (rules to foward messages from User A, B, etc.,) to the same folder?

Based on the above, we are using a BES.

Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart

Read again what I wrote and let me know if still not clear what folder redirection does for you.
Contributor
dajogejr

I'm not trying to be a smart a**, but I guess I don't understand.

I did in fact select the folders in folder redirection.

I guess my question is do I need to setup the rule on the device to match what I have set up in Outlook.

In other words, rule A states email from User X goes to Folder X when it arrives.

Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart

OK, sync of the old emails in those subfolders ito your handheld is not possiable. Creating the same rule will not do anything regarding to your goal to sync old email from those subfolders. All folder redirection do for you is what I wrote in my initial post. If you don't set up folder redirection on device the way you did already, you would not even be able to see new (meaning new email that arrives after folder redirection is setup on device) messages that end up in those folders on your device.

Contributor
dajogejr

I understand 100% what you are saying.  Old emails will not show regardless of what I do.

I have selected folder redirection for a few folders.

I have received new email since I've selected the folder redirection, they still do not display on my handheld.

That is exactly my problem. I know I won't get old email, I only want new email to show any ways.

That...is not working.

Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart

Ops, Ok...  then it is my bad. Did you ask them to resend service books or simply pull the battery and reset HH?