Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
hittyh
My Device: Z10

How MAPI connects to besadmin in an Exchange 2010 CAS ARRAY / SERVER environment

I have an Exchange 2010 CAS array in a failover config that includes 3 database servers in a DAG and 2 CAS/HUB servers in a casarray.

When I reboot these servers once a month i.e. week 1, reboot 1 DB and 1 CAS (casarray still up), week 2 reboot 1 DB and 1 CAS server (casarray still up), occasionally the BES loses connection to the Exchange.

why does this happen?

does the BES server create a MAPI connection to an individual CAS server instead of directly with a casarray?

if so, how can i determine which cas server the BES MAPI is pointing to?

or does the MAPI connnection end at the casarray and is in someway loadbalanced by microsoft?

also i find the besadmin account is continually interrogating the exchange in the IIS logs on port 443. why is this happening.

all advise will be very much appreciated. thanks

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: How MAPI connects to besadmin in an Exchange 2010 CAS ARRAY / SERVER environment

[ Edited ]
Contributor
hittyh

Re: How MAPI connects to besadmin in an Exchange 2010 CAS ARRAY / SERVER environment

Thanks Knottyrope.

Just one more question.

why do the Exchange IIS logs show this:

OST /EWS/Exchange.asmx - 443 company-name\BESAdmin 192.168.0.11 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+2.0.50727.5477)

I’m trying to understand why its appearing as EWS and is happening approx. 4 times a second, when I have set no Exchange impersonation rules. Does it have something to do with the throttling policy setup on task 6 of this KB: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02276

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

BES uses EWS for Calendar sync and yes you need to do all in that KB for it to work right

What is the BESAdmin service account?
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Solution/What-is-the-BESAdmin-service-a...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
hittyh

thanks.

is the calendar not access via CDO anymore?

those logs have nothing to do with this KB do they?:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20157

just want to make sure someone in my absence hasnt gone through this procedure.

So when my server is rebooted, or works on the Exchange are occuring (i.e. patches), is it quite normal for the besadmin to hammer my Exchange and appear in the Exchange IIS logs via EWS?

Forums Advisor I
freakinvibe
My Device: Q10

In Exchange 2010, calendaring via CDO is still supported. So it depends if you have set EWSEnable to True or not.

In Exchange 2013, BES does not support CDO anymore.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

hittyh wrote:

thanks.

is the calendar not access via CDO anymore?

those logs have nothing to do with this KB do they?:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB20157

just want to make sure someone in my absence hasnt gone through this procedure.

So when my server is rebooted, or works on the Exchange are occuring (i.e. patches), is it quite normal for the besadmin to hammer my Exchange and appear in the Exchange IIS logs via EWS?

yes the BESAdmin account will hammer your server, you should take BES offline when doing Exchange updates so it will go faster.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V