If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
marissa32
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile
Accepted Solution

IT Policy - Security Setting

Setting: Work Network Usage for Personal Apps By Work Network, are they referring only to WiFi connections setup using a WiFi profile through BDS? For example, if I set this to Disallow, then personal apps cannot use my organization's network to connect to the Internet. Would the phone then use the data plan? Or would access be denied. If they went home and added their device to their home WiFi or to a public WiFi would the personal apps be able to use those other WiFi to connect?
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
MAD-VIKING
My Device: BlackBerry Z-10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: IT Policy - Security Setting

Hello marissa32;

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your question.

Page 51 of the BlackBerry Device Service Policy and Profile Reference Guide reports the following for this Rule set.

Description:     This rule specifies whether personal apps on a BlackBerry device can use your organization’s Wi-Fi or VPN network to connect to the Internet. If you set this rule to Allow, all personal apps on the device can use your organization’s network to connect to the Internet. If you set this rule to Disallow, personal apps cannot use your organizations network to connect to the Internet.

When using Balance, your device has two perimeters, which means the personal apps on the personal perimeter will utilize whatever connection is available to it, unless otherwise configured. (i.e. IT Policy).

In this instance the device would use a wireless provider plan (or data plan) if an alternative method was not available. If the user has their home WIFI setup on the device, it will utilize the WIFI before utilizing a wireless provider data plan.

Let us know if you have any further questions regarding this specific request.

oll Free UK Only)

+44 1753 558400 (Outside UK)

1-647-426-1108 (Worldwide)

help@blackberry.com

MAD-VIKING
Please use plain text.