Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Issue and solution: BES 5.0.4 activation hangs on "Contacting server" and "Waiting for recognition of valid user activation response before continuing with processing"

Hey you guys,

I love this forum and refer to it often.

I am posting this after it was solved, just to give another possible solution to a specific activation issue on BES 5.0.4

Description:

Curve 9370, attempting to activate on BESX 5.0.4.

28 existing users working fine. Throttling policy well configured.

Exchange Server 2010 with some heavy DBs (they are email hoarders).

New Exchange user copied from an existing one, activation process hangs at "Contacting server".

Device troubleshooting: full security wipe, yielded no result, still failing.

We did a full 360 check of the service provisioning with the mobile operator. All services were OK, but still hanging.

On the BES Activation requests, I found the following message:

Waiting for recognition of valid user activation response before continuing with processing.

This seemed to indicate that the server was actually responding to the connection request, but the device never followed with the service request.

I also moved my Exchange user to a smaller database in case there were indexing or search delays on the main DB. That didn't make any difference either.

We checked in the service books on the device, there were none. An attempt from the operator to resend the service books failed.

Long story short, the account was fine, it activated on a different device. The issue was with the initial Curve 9370.

Hope this helps someone else and saves some facepalms!