Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

BKOEHN
My Device: Not Specified

Junk Mail

Why am I getting junk mail to my blackberry when my desktop recognizes it as junk mail and deletes it?  Is there a way to set up enterprise to also recognize junk mail and not deliver it to my blackberry?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Brad

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Junk Mail

In order for your HH to not receive junk mail you need to have server side processing of said junk / spam.

If your desktop is processing spam, it is doing it AFTER the message has already been sent to your HH.

Talk with your BES / mail administrator about configuring server-side spam filtering or adjusting the settings ... or helping you configure server side spam filtering rules.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

tell him to get a barracuda, they rock!

I have a 300 and it stops spam in its tracks.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

... or use the built in filtering within the mail platform, or use a hosted mail exchanger ... all sorts of options.

I'd actually stay clear of an in house additional hardware device ... just another thing to manage; and I prefer making life easier, not more complex.

New Contributor
mjoyal

If at the BES an individual is set so that they choose which folders are redirected and the Junk Mail folder is not one of them, how is it that that e-mail still gets redirected?

Now I ask that knowing this. . .  Mail hits the BES before it is processed at the Exchange server.  It also seems as if sometime in recent history this folder was excluded from being redirected.  But that could be my muddled mind remembering wrong.  :-)

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

ummm ... ok?

Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

[ Edited ]

AndyDufresne wrote:
If your desktop is processing spam, it is doing it AFTER the message has already been sent to your HH.
Indeed. Even if the spam detector adds mail headers like X-Spamicity :
  • your BES server canot filter onto these filters
  • anyways it's already too late because the original message has already been sent to the BES before adding the headers.

The only way is to add a preprocess spam detector, like Barracuda, Postfix or a greylisting server. It's a rather violent processing, since the emails are rejected when the system is sure it is spam.
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-04-2008 07:38 PM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

... Exchange can do the same thing too.  It'll process spam / viruses prior to mail arriving in the inbox ... that with a combination of setting a delay in BES for mail pickup will work perfectly ... and free.

New Contributor
mjoyal

We use Postini as a pre-Exchange filter.  However, a few stragglers get through.  I'm the admin here, but my level of expertise on Exchange is small, and as such I am not familiar with doing any filtering or blocking from Exchange.  Any good whitepapers on this?

Also, I was unaware that a delay could be set at the BES.  I'd have to think about that.  So far, I'm the only person complaining about the junk mail.  ----  That could change.  :smileyhappy:

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

mjoyal wrote:

We use Postini as a pre-Exchange filter.  However, a few stragglers get through.  I'm the admin here, but my level of expertise on Exchange is small, and as such I am not familiar with doing any filtering or blocking from Exchange.  Any good whitepapers on this?

Also, I was unaware that a delay could be set at the BES.  I'd have to think about that.  So far, I'm the only person complaining about the junk mail.  ----  That could change.  :smileyhappy:

What version of Exchange are you using?

and ... Delay mail processing for an anti-virus scan ... works the same for anti-virus / anti-spam; same concept