Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Location of BES server in relation to handhelds being services(International).

I'm looking at centralizing some of our Internation Exchange servers here in the US.  Anyone know what RIM's position on this is?  Our director said that he had heard back in the BES 3.x days that you need a BES in country where the handhelds were, per RIM's direction.  WIth today's network speed, I have trouble buying this.  Anyone have any info on this?

Re: Location of BES server in relation to handhelds being services(International).

I asked support today while on the phone for a different issue.  The answer is, location of the BES server doesn't have to be in country.

Re: Location of BES server in relation to handhelds being services(International).

Hello JBarsodi,

The statement you recieved is correct

However there are quite a few pre-requisites, a few of them being, latency to the mail server, latency to the SQL server where the BESMgmt database resides, WAN link (if BlackBerry Enterprise Server is on a remote site), traffic generated by Global Catalogue referrals etc.

Here is our document for Capacity Planning and Performance Tuning.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/7979/278286/745137/?nodeid=9...

Hope this helps answer some questions for you.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions by updating this thread.

Contributor

Thanks, I was referring to BES server to handheld location.  My BES server will be directly next my Exchange clusters in each regional datacenter.

JBarsodi wrote:

Thanks, I was referring to BES server to handheld location.  My BES server will be directly next my Exchange clusters in each regional datacenter.

There is no requirement to have the BlackBerry smartphones running in the same country as the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. The information that you received when you called BlackBerry Support is accurate.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Please correct me if I'm wrong here ... but IIRC if you move a BES (change the SRP NOC it connects to), you need to notify RIM prior to the move so that the SRP will work properly through the other NOC.  If you have a server in the UK and connect to srp.eu and then move to the US and connect to srp.na you'd need to have your SRP "released" from the EU NOC so it could be used with the NA noc, no?

Being that this is what you're doing I figued I'd mention it.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

[ Edited ]
That's a good point, however we're looking at migrating those handhelds to our US based BES server that already exists. I'd be interested in hearing the answer to that point though for future reference.
Message Edited by JBarsodi on 04-20-2008 12:55 PM

... The same may also hold true for HHs; I honestly can't remember though.

Contributor

What do you mean?  That they've been activated on a EU based BES server then moved to a NA based BES server?  I don't believe so as I do it frequently between our Netherlands, US, Sydney, and Manchester BES servers when our users move.

That is what I meant ... looks like I'm wrong on that account if you've had success moving users to BES's that connect to different SRP NOCs.

Thanks for the info!