Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

BlackBerry Technical Advisor
FaceMan
My Device: Not Specified

Re: MDS Integration Service Not Running

No worries. I got confused myself with the acronyms. Basically i think of it this way. MDSS(Called MDS-IS now) is for developing applications and pushing them out Blackberry users. If you dont do that then you wont need to install it.

MDS-CS is for user to browse to internal and external website via Blackberry browser.

I'm assuming the MDS Admin is just the administration page that is loaded but forgot the link...will see if i can find it.

here is more details from the admin guide 

Component Description

• BlackBerry MDS Integration Service: The BlackBerry MDS Integration
Service enables BlackBerry® MDS Runtime Applications to interact with
back-end systems using web services or direct database connections. You
can install the BlackBerry MDS Integration Service when you install the
BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

• BlackBerry MDS Connection Service: The BlackBerry MDS Connection
Service processes requests for web content from the BlackBerry® Browser
or from BlackBerry Java® Applications. The BlackBerry MDS Connection
Service also manages TCP/IP and HTTP-based connections between
BlackBerry Applications and the applications residing on your
organization’s application servers, web servers, or databases that are
located behind your organization's firewall.

Page 24 in this link has what you are looking for http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/2750/FTO_X_456536_11.pdf

Contributor
markj363

Ok thanks for the info.

If I manually start the mds intergration service it runs for a few seconds then stops, this is from the mdss log.

INFO ][2009-01-13 16:01:50,156][ConfigManager]SERVER_CONFIG_DIR=C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\MDSS\config
[DEBUG][2009-01-13 16:01:50,171][JdbcManager]JDBC URL=jdbc:sqlserver://bes-08927\SQLEXPRESS;databaseName=mdss;integratedSecurity=true
[DEBUG][2009-01-13 16:01:50,218][ThreadPool]Thread | Thread pool started. | Name=default; Size=0;
[INFO ][2009-01-13 16:01:50,218][ThreadPoolMgr]Service | New State | Name=ThreadPoolMgr; State=STARTED;
[INFO ][2009-01-13 16:01:50,234][BaseMgr]Service | New State | Name=BaseManager; State=STARTED;
[DEBUG][2009-01-13 16:01:50,500][VersioningServiceImpl]Supported range for Security is 1:2
[INFO ][2009-01-13 16:02:00,562][ListenerServiceImpl]Service | New State | Name=ListenerService; State=STOPPED;
[INFO ][2009-01-13 16:02:00,562][ServiceMgr]Service | New State | Name=ServiceManager; State=STOPPED; 

Does that mean anything to anyone?

Contributor
markj363

or is there another log file i should be looking in?
FaceMan

I just re-read the thread and see the confusion i ran into. In the original post you mentioned MDS Integration but then the second you mentioned MDAT log which threw me off a little. From there i assumed there is an issue with MDS-CS service based on the log. 

So to clarify, MDS-CS is up and running with no issues but its the MDSS/MDS-IS that is unable to start correct?

Contributor
markj363

Fair enough, im confused too because i dont know enough about what is needed and what isnt i guess. If i look under services MDS connection service is running, mds integration service is not (i can manually start it but it stops within seconds).
FaceMan

[ Edited ]

Ok cool. That's clearer now :smileyhappy:

MDS-CS is working so all your users area able to browse with no problems. MDS-CS is usually needed as company's want their users to have browsing feature. MDAT log is used for trpubleshooting MDS-CS.

MDS-IS is starting stopping and this is the problem. If your using MDS Studio to develop applicaitons then you wont be able to push them out since MDS-IS is failing. If your not developing Applications for Blackberry Devices then you really dont need this then. You can still keep it an play around with it but the choice is yours based on your company needs. MDSS Log is used for troubleshooting MDS-IS issues.

Are you using SQL Express 2005? If so, I came across this KB which states you need to make a few changes in order for MDS-IS to work with SQLExpress 2005.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14930&sliceId=2&docTy...

Message Edited by FaceMan on 01-14-2009 11:59 AM
Contributor
markj363

In version 4.1.6 I no longer see the jakarta-tomcat subdirectory under mdss nor is there a server.xml file anywhere in the rim-bes directory structure did they remove it?
Contributor
markj363

Just to add to that what i posted late yesterday was from the mdss log where it shows start and stop of the service. If the only applications im ever going to push out are prebuilt one (like gwmessanger which came to my bb perfectly after the update and wouldnt before) do i still need the mds integration or should i just disable it in services?
FaceMan

[ Edited ]

Hmm... i just looked at one of my test boxes and i didnt see if there either but MDS-IS is starting but it runningon SQL 2005.

I took a look at the compatibility Matrix

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/server_exchange_ver_december08.pdf

and when you look under SQL Express 2005 is shows that you need to follow  KB14930 which is the same KB i linked above. 

If i get a chance this week i'll try installing in a box with SQL Express as im curious to see what happens.

Message Edited by FaceMan on 01-14-2009 12:34 PM
FaceMan

No. You don't need MDS-IS for prebuilt apps so  you should be good there. You can definitly disable it as it will not be BES impacting. I think it will be an easy configuration fix but its just a matter of figuring out the KB and the matrix if it is supported or not.