Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

My Device: Not Specified

MDS against BES V4.0 ?

[ Edited ]

my first post here! I used to find solution on my own through BB KB and forum but this time, I am really stuck...

alright, let me introduce the context:

We do hold the BES in our company. Developpers has design a home-made application through visual studio 2005 and the BB plugin. From this dev platform, it is possible and easy to publish (through the MDS service installed with the BB developpement plugin)on the local BB handheld simulator (the MDS runtime was installed first on the virtual device): the app work perfectly on the  virtual handheld.

Now back to the real things. We host our BES in version 4.0 and we need the MDS service to run in order to push our application. I found this download for MDS:

I managed to install it once I declared the database on a real database server (the MSDE 2000 is not a good idea at all...).

So now I can see my MDS admin console... but I cannot do anything with it. I *guess* something is missing: on the simulator, we can see a URL pointing to itself (something like http://localhost:8080/...). But on BES, there is nothing and a service called "MDS connection service" is missing.

So, in order to understand, here are some questions:

1 -Is it actually possible to install MDS with BES V4.0 ?

2 - Does MDS runtime for devices are not compatible with BES V4.0(all runtime I found were specified for 64 megs memory device AND to use it with MDS 4.1 - see https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=F9BE311E65D81A9AD8150A60844BB94C)

3 - If it's possible to  use MDS with BES 4.0, how do I connect my BES with my MDS (I assume through MDS connection service)

4 - Does MDS runtime (for handheld) are only meant for device that comes with 64 megs of memory?

Just to let you know, we are using our BES against an exchange 2003 mail server.

Thanks in advance

Message Edited by VTE on 07-11-2008 09:02 AM