Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
jfinger
My Device: Tour 9630 and Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Messages keep disappearing from a users device

I have a user who's device is set to keep messages "Forever".  In the recent past, his device drops about 2 or 3 months worth of recent messages.  I am wondering if there is a theoretical limitation to the number of messages a device can possibly track before it dumps them like this?  I've already checked his available memory and that looks fine.  He's using a 8820, and we're using a BES 4.1.5 server with MS Exchange.  I know there is a limitation of sub-folders (99 - trust me, I've got several users who have hit that).  Just wondering if there is a limit to messages it can track.  This user's inbox has over 17,000 messages in it, and he expects to be able to use his BB device as a roaming filing cabinet, which I believe that plan is flawed all together.  If there is a limit to the number of messages to expect it to track, then maybe I can get him to change the "Forever" to some duration, or get him to move the bulk of his messages to a sub-folder.

Thanks,

Joel

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,894
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Messages keep disappearing from a users device

It is not unreasonable to have that many messages, although I would say that is the upper side of "a lot".

However, what is the file free on the device. You said it was ok, but, what is it? Options > Status.

The deletion of messages (call logs and text messages are usually the first to go, do you know if that user has lots either?) is possible with low memory. It normally occurs under 5MB of free memory, but I have seen it happen often enough under 10mb, and rarely occurs above 15mb free. And, it depends on the third party applications, etc., using the memory. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jfinger

Thanks for the reply.  Of coarse, the user is too busy to deal with this now, so I'm being put off until next week.  "Fix it now, but you can't bother me!"  I can't even get a simple answer about the file memory available.  I just get a "Well, I added more memory to it".  Had to explain the media card memory to our help desk and the user.  The help desk is trying to recover the messages to the user's BB.  I told them it isn't possible.  Though, would it work to create a sub folder, make it visible on the BB, then move the messages to that folder?

Joel

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Get the handheld and upgrade the OS to 4.5.

Here is your BEST and ONLY solution to have access to all messages in the mailbox:

KB15161 - Remote search for email messages

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

link to upgrade OS: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/151841-latest-os-8820-4-5-0-108-4-5-0...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jfinger

Thanks for the reference to v4.5.  I've been waiting for att to release it.  I went ahead and loaded it on my device, and so far, so good.  The remote search function is so useful, I may just be able to convince this user to set his messages to drop off after 30 days and have him search his inbox.  I mean, to me, any message older than a week on my BB is of no use to me.  Searching the archive back at the office is way more powerful.

In looking at the BES policies, I see an option for "Memory Cleaner Policy Group".  Are these functions useful?  What kind of memory it is cleaning? 

Joel

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

nothing that is going to give you any value in free space.  Its meant to be used from a security perspecitve emptying any caches and free memory associated with unused, sensitive application data.

Please use plain text.