Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Ansev
My Device: Bold
Accepted Solution

Migrate 5.0.1 on W2K to 5.0.4 on W2K12 via HA ?

Hi,

We have a single 5.0.1 server on Windows 2000 (yes, really !) with Exchange 2007 (on a separate server of course).

We need to migrate to Exchange 2013 so , looking at the compatibiliy matrix, it seems we need to upgrade to 5.0.4 first. Cannot do an in-place upgrade on the W2K box though... 5.0.1 is the only one that is supported on W2K and 5.0.4 is the only one that supports Exchange 2013.

I wanted to use HA as a method for upgrading the hardware/OS ( as per http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB22499 ). Is it okay to have different OS versions and different BES versions installed on the HA member servers? i.e

First server in the pool is W2K with 5.0.1

Second server in the pool is W2K12 with 5.0.4

(After this we'd remove the W2K server from the pool and replace it with another W2K12 / 5.0.4 server)

?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Migrate 5.0.1 on W2K to 5.0.4 on W2K12 via HA ?

2013 uses RPC and not MAPI like 2010 and prior. They wont work on both at same time either

you need to stand up a new BES 5 server dedicated for 2013

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ansev

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ansev

Hi,

I believe you but am just wondering... is there a document anywhere from Blackberry that actually states 5.0.4 only supports Exchange 2013 in standalone mode ?

The compatibility matrix doesn't state it.

KB33406 has a pretty cryptic note at the bottom saying:

"Note: If running Microsoft Exchange in mixed mode, mailbox moves can take up to 20 minutes to complete. "

Is that their way of saying it is 'standalone' only so move all your mailboxes across then ?!?

I was reading this very good article: http://www.cms.ca/blog/trials--tribulations-with-bes-5--exchange-2013-on-premises-deployment-105

and it seems that Blackberry have been removing the 'standalone' statements on the Compatibility matrix and also on the KB33406 document. Why would they do that I wonder?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you are correct, I was think of BES Express for some odd reason

Now you can have it on 2013 and access older version of exchange with lastest MR of BES 5 SP4

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Ansev

I don't suppose you know of any 'official' document from Blackberry stating that this is the case do you ? I can't find anything in any of the maintenance release notes for MR3/4/5/6/7 saying that they changed it to support mixed mode.

I have however just found an old copy of the compatibility matrix ( http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam/blackBerry/pdf/support/northAmerica/english/server_exchange_ver...  ) where it said "standalone" only.

It's frustrating... we have to plan an Exchange migration and I would like to be sure of this and avoid management asking me either :

- why did we install two BES instances when one would have done

or

- why did we only have one BES instance and break half the BB users during the migration

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Please use plain text.