Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
amitaggarwal
My Device: Not Specified

Migrating BES users to new BES server

Hello,

We are in the process of Migrating our existing Exchange 2003 (exch2003) server to Exchange 2007 (exch2007). The present scenario is that we have installed BES server (4.1.3) on the exch2003 and all the users are connected to this BES server and the exchange server. I have installed a fresh exchange server exch2007. I have few queries and need to know the solution for the same:
1) Can I install the BES server on the new exchange server with existing BES server running in the same network and domain.
2) If the above is possible, then can I use the same license key to install on the new server.
3) If 1 is not correct, then what is the best way to migrate the users to new exchange server and install BES server on this exch2007 server, without any downtime for the users.
4) How can I decomminssion the old BES server.

I will be highly obliged to you for the kind help.

Regards,
Amit
Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart
My Device: Z10

Re: Migrating BES users to new BES server

1) can't be done as BES can not run on 64 bit version of os

Whatis your option. Migrate all users to 2007. Uninstall Excahnge 2003 and leave BES running on it or do knife edge cutover to a new hardware for BES. 

Contributor
amitaggarwal

But I have read many the installation guide on the website, it says we can install BES 4.1.6 on Windows 2003 Enterprise x64.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=http--nablac...

Please clarify.

Also, I need to now whether I can run 2 servers with same license key in the same network and domain till all the migration is completed.
Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart

[ Edited ]

You are correct.  BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 4 (4.1.4) and later is designed to run on a 64-bit operating system. In order to run Microsoft Exchange 2007 and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server on the same computer, BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1.4 or later must be installed.

But would never do it anyway. If any server I would never install anything else on it , it would be Exchange. How many BES users do you have?

Message Edited by bbinmyhart on 01-26-2009 12:23 PM
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Installing BES and exchange on the same server is just a bad idea.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Contributor
amitaggarwal

Presently I have 10 users connected on that server. I may grow with a very small percentage in the near future.

If not exchange server on the same box as BES server, can I install Domain Controller alongwith BES server as we have a crunch for hardware resource.

Also, I need to know that how can I change the present exchange server exch1 which is binding to the existing BES server to the new exchange 2007 server exch2. Is it a simple configuration change or complex. Will it effect the users.

Pleas let me know.
Regular Contributor
wusmani
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000

Actually installing BES directly on Exchange 2007 can be a really bad idea! If you install it on a server that is providing Client Access Role, then you're OWA will stop working.

Take a look at this link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15040&slic...

By the way, you can use a temporary license key for the new BES, and after the migration switch to the product license.

WhackBerry_
Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart

I beleive that would be the best for you as I described in my first post. after you migrate all mailboxes to 2007, remove old exchange 2003 from old/box1. Make sure all permissions are set properly on 2007 exchange. Then install cdo 1.2.1 on the same server old/BOX1 and reboot. Should be good enough. If worst comes to worst, remove BES two and go from scratch , you got only ten users anyway.