Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Developer
lund
My Device: 9900 + 32 GB PB
My Carrier: Netcom

Migrating from Exchange 2003 to 2010

Hi, we are in the process of migrating all of our users from an Exchange 2003 environment to a 2010 environment.

I have searching around the web and these forums and it seems as though I can have the BES server serve users on both Exchange server simultaneously - is that correct?

I'm hoping that is the case, the reason for this is that I have approx 120 BB users on my BES, migrating these will take some time and I really need users on both servers to have full mail support while performing this task.

My BES is on version 5.0.3.31.

What I'm hoping to do is to migrate batches of users each night for a couple of weeks, say 12 users per night the next ten working days or something in that order - does that sound sensible?

KB22601 does seem to imply that I will only have to migrate the BESadmin and make some adjustments regarding policies on the 2010 server in order for the BES to support both an older Exchange as well as a new 2010 server - is this correct or have i misunderstood/missed something in this article?

If anyone has any experience with similar jobs and can provide me with input I will be very grateful :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Migrating from Exchange 2003 to 2010

lund wrote:

Hi, we are in the process of migrating all of our users from an Exchange 2003 environment to a 2010 environment.

I have searching around the web and these forums and it seems as though I can have the BES server serve users on both Exchange server simultaneously - is that correct?

I'm hoping that is the case, the reason for this is that I have approx 120 BB users on my BES, migrating these will take some time and I really need users on both servers to have full mail support while performing this task.

My BES is on version 5.0.3.31.

What I'm hoping to do is to migrate batches of users each night for a couple of weeks, say 12 users per night the next ten working days or something in that order - does that sound sensible?

KB22601 does seem to imply that I will only have to migrate the BESadmin and make some adjustments regarding policies on the 2010 server in order for the BES to support both an older Exchange as well as a new 2010 server - is this correct or have i misunderstood/missed something in this article? That is correct.

If anyone has any experience with similar jobs and can provide me with input I will be very grateful :smileyhappy:

Follow that article but you dont have to move the users over right away, just BESAdmin account. Then once you know it works, start moveing users over.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Developer
lund

Thanks knottyrope - I'll post updates here as I go along whether I run into problems or not :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

sounds good, looking forward to your progress

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Developer
lund

BTW, do you have any preference or suggestion on whether or not to enable BES to use MS Exchange Web Services?

I Read about it in the above mentioned KB and found more info here,KB20157.

I have tried reading up on it but can't seem to figure out if it has any clear benefits or not :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I have no preference, but EWS seems to be the way to go.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
lund

[ Edited ]

Hello again, it seems as though I'm on the right track here :smileyhappy:

The BESAdmin has been migrated to the new Exchange 2010 cluster, and mailservices now work for users on both the old and new mail clusters.

I do however have an issue with calendar sync after moving my own mailbox to the new exchange environment.

I will look further into this but if anyone knows what it might be, please let me know.

I'm hoping a reactivation is uneccessary as it would be a true pain to assist all 120 users with this :smileywink:

Conctact sync haven been tried yet - will do so soon and let you know :smileyhappy:

EDIT: Contact sync has been tried as well - not working good.

The status as of now:

Calendar appointments sync from PC to Phone, but not the other way.

Contacts don't sync Either Way.

I'm trying this on a 9900 with OS 5.0.0.540 - Outlook 2007 where the MBX is now moved to Exhcange 2010- BES version is 5.0.3.31.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
lund

Thanks, I've checkced the "Usual Suspects" like CDO.DLL, MAPI32.DLL, ans also the EMSMDB32.DLL as referred to in the KB22601 - all were on the right version.

I will work my way through the other KB's you sent me :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Developer
lund

A fix to the one-way calendar sync was to run the following command:

Get-MailboxDatabase | Add-ADPermission -User "BESAdmin" -AccessRights ExtendedRight -ExtendedRights Receive-As, ms-Exch-Store-Admin

We have now started to migrate some users over to a new server. For my part it worked perfectly, but in other cases - mail dissappears from the BB inbox and in one instance a user can send mail from his BB but not recieve new mail on it.

So a few strange ussues but things are moving along without any major showstoppers - which is nice :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.