Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
moyer_jason
My Device: Not Specified

More than 1 BES best practice

Hey,

Currently, I have two BES servers that are independant of each other. That means I have the primary running while the secondary has its services off. They each have their own server name and SQL instance.

I would like to know if there is a better way. I am looking at putting the SQL servers on a SANS to implement a cluster type solutions. Anyone have any best practices for having more than one BES server?

Thanks,

J

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: More than 1 BES best practice

Are both BES pointed to the same SQL database.

What end goal are you trying to achive?

I have SQL 2005 (knot clustered) and have a spare server with BES loaded on it with services turned off and powered off.

I manually switch over and have not needed to for a while now. YMMV

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
moyer_jason

Mine is like what you mentioned. The primary runs and we usually switch to the secondary for testing or to install patches ont he primary...THe secondary uses the same BES DB.

At the moment it is a manual process to stop services, backup DB, restart DB to secondary and start services. I was thinking or hoping there would be a more efficient way.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You have a few choices.

Create some batch files to turn on and off services. I wil post examples at the end.

Upgrade to BES 5.0 for 999.00 and use its High Availability.

Purchase another SRP (second BES) and connect to same database and move users if one server goes down.

Set to Disabled and Stop Services:

Code:
sc config "BlackBerry Router" start= disabled | sc stop "BlackBerry Router"
sc config "BlackBerry Dispatcher" start= disabled | sc stop "BlackBerry Dispatcher"
sc config "BlackBerry Controller" start= disabled | sc stop "BlackBerry Controller"
sc config "BlackBerry MDS Connection Service" start= disabled | sc stop "BlackBerry MDS Connection Service"
sc config "BlackBerry Policy Service" start= disabled | sc stop "BlackBerry Policy Service"
sc config BBAttachServer start= disabled | sc stop BBAttachServer
sc config "BlackBerry SyncServer" start= disabled | sc stop "BlackBerry SyncServer"
sc config "BlackBerry Server Alert" start= disabled | sc stop "BlackBerry Server Alert"

Set to Automatic and Start Services:

Code:
sc config "BlackBerry Router" start= auto | sc start "BlackBerry Router"
sc config "BlackBerry Dispatcher" start= auto | sc start "BlackBerry Dispatcher"
sc config "BlackBerry Controller" start= auto | sc start "BlackBerry Controller"
sc config "BlackBerry MDS Connection Service" start= auto | sc start "BlackBerry MDS Connection Service"
sc config "BlackBerry Policy Service" start= auto | sc start "BlackBerry Policy Service"
sc config BBAttachServer start= auto | sc start BBAttachServer
sc config "BlackBerry SyncServer" start= auto | sc start "BlackBerry SyncServer"
sc config "BlackBerry Server Alert" start= auto | sc start "BlackBerry Server Alert"
Make sure the services match exactly to what you have and test it.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Contributor
moyer_jason

Many thanks for the scripts.

That is why  I am asking now becuase we are looking to repalce our hardware and I am sure in the process upgrade to BES 5.0.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

One nice point with BES 5.0 is you get to have 2 servers running with same SRP.

The web interface will take some time getting used to it though.

Contributor
moyer_jason

Is the upgrade pretty straightfoward? I am at BES 4.1.6

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

No it is not. BES 5.0 is very different.

Read all the manuals a few times before even beginning.

Contributor
moyer_jason

ok, i am going over the document and have a question.

I am reveiwing that "configure MS Exchange 2003 permissions for the windows account"

Configure Microsoft Exchange 2003 permissions for the Windows account

On each computer that you want to install the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Administration Service on, you must

configure the Microsoft® Exchange permissions of the Windows® account that you want to use to complete the installation

process.

Without the correct permissions, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server cannot run after you complete the installation process.

1. Using Microsoft Exchange 2003 System Manager, configure the Exchange View Only Administrator permission with the

minimum access level of Administrative Groups.

2. At the server level, configure the following permissions:

• Send As

• Receive As

• Administer Information Store

3. To permit the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to check if users have permissions to access a public folder, assign the Owner

permission on all public folders to the account.

After you finish: Verify that the users have Read and Visible permissions to public folders.

The above is not real thorough and I am wondering if it is necessary because I already have the BESADMIN account setup.

Thanks,

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

You will have to do number 3 to use public folders when OS 5.0 comes out.