Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: AT&T

Moved from MSDE to SQL, NumAgents change won't stick.

Hi!  First post here I come.  Ok so I just moved from  MSDE to full SQL (2005) and the documentation says to change the NumAgents registry value from 1 to 5.  After I do this and start the services, the value reverts back to 1.  I went through the documentation again and I don't think I missed anything in it.  Any ideas? 

Thanks!

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Moved from MSDE to SQL, NumAgents change won't stick.

[ Edited ]
"There is a limit of two mail agents on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server when using the Microsoft Data Engine (MSDE) for the BlackBerry® Configuration Database. As a result, the stability of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server may be compromised when running more than two Exchange Servers.

To improve stability, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server attempts to divide the mail agents among the mail servers. With an increased number of mail servers, communication with one mail server may affect communication for BlackBerry device users on another mail server. In these situations, consideration should be given to utilizing the SQL Server to take advantage of an increased number of mail agents."

This does not mean that you'll have all 5 mail agents running. It just extends to a potential of upto 5 agents. How many users, mail servers etc?
Message Edited by bbinmyhart on 01-19-2009 09:46 AM
Contributor

Roughly 225 users spread across 10 mail servers.
Forums Advisor I

Then yes, I guess you should see all 5 agents. Now if I were you I'd try to keep bb users them on the same exchange server or as few as possible.
Contributor

Yes, this is why I'm posting - it's showing 1.  If I change it and restart the services, it reverts back to 1. 

We are geographically dispersed, so we can't centralize our mail servers easily.

Forums Advisor I

Does registry entry reverse back to 1 as it is supposed to be 2 anyway? I have another reg key that has simular REG_DWARD name as that other one called NumAgentsFullServer  that is also set to 5. Maybe you wanna try that.
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Restart the controller service.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Contributor

[ Edited ]
It was always set to 1, even before moving to SQL.   Restarting the controller services is when the setting reverts back to 1.
Message Edited by curriertech on 01-19-2009 03:54 PM
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

What version of BES are you on?

Did you uninstall MSDE on BES?

Did you stop the Database consistnecy service?

May want to try this out if on 4.1.4 or higher.

1.On the computer that hosts the BlackBerry Dispatcher, start the Registry Editor.

2.In the left pane, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Dispatcher.

3.Right-click the MaxUsersPerAgent value, and click Modify.

4.In the Value data field, type the maximum number of users that the BlackBerry Dispatcher assigns to the BlackBerry Messaging Agent. The default is 500.

5.Click OK.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

4.1.6 MR3 MSDE was removed from the BES after the database was migrated. SQL Express is still on the BES for MobileAdmin, which I'm going to migrate to the other SQL box soon. The whatnow? I didn't see anything about that in the migration doc. I will add that registry entry and report back. Thanks!