Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
dastfred
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Moving BES to a new machine

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have to move my BES Software 4.1.3.16 to a new machine and I'm not sure about the right way to do this.  I don't want to cut BES service from the old server before i'm sure that the new server work well.  So my idea is to install the new BES on the new machine with same licence number.  I suppose that in the Blackberry manager on the old machine I will see the new BES on the new machine (even if they both have the same licence number...?) and I will be able to move user from the old bes to new bes.  Is it the right way?  Is it ok to use temporary use the same licence key for 2 bes server?

thank

Frédéric D'Astous

Rimouski, Québec, Canada

Message Edited by dastfred on 09-18-2008 04:15 PM
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Moving BES to a new machine

Here's a few questions to answer that will let you know what to do:

1) Is the BESMgmt database located on the BES server or is it in a remote location?

2) Do you have the installation package for BES 4.1 SP3?  If not do you have one for a newer version?

3) You cannot have 2 BES started at the same time using the same license key.

4) Do you have a temporary license key?

5) Do you have another server OS built and ready to use to migrate your users?

6) Do you use MDS Services?  I don't mean MDS Connecction Service (which allows you to access the web from your BB, but rather MDS Services which handles behind the firewall application integration?).

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor
dastfred

My answer :

1) The BESMgmt database is located on the BES server.

2) Yes, I have the installation package for BES 4.1 SP3.

3) Ok

4) No, how can I have a temporay licence key?

5) Yes, I have a new Windows 2003 server machine ready.  I have started the bes setup, but I have stoped when the setup ask for licence key.

6) No I don't use MDS Services

Thanks!

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067/645045/7963/7965/118040...

Follow this way to do it in the manual page five.

Upgrading the BlackBerry Enterprise Server by using a new computer

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

dastfred wrote:

My answer :

1) The BESMgmt database is located on the BES server.

2) Yes, I have the installation package for BES 4.1 SP3.

3) Ok

4) No, how can I have a temporay licence key?

5) Yes, I have a new Windows 2003 server machine ready.  I have started the bes setup, but I have stoped when the setup ask for licence key.

6) No I don't use MDS Services

Thanks!

* Assumption: You've setup proper server level and mail platform permissions already.

Ok, the process you're going to want to take is called a knife-edge cutover.  You'll setup the new server identically to that of the old server (with the exception of the hostname; however the BES Server Name must remain identical.) If the BES Server Name doesn't remain identical you'll end up with 2 servers listed in the BES Manager and your envionment won't be functional. I've attached a screenshot of where the BES Server Name is located during the installation.  This defaults to the NETBIOS (hostname) name of the server.  IF YOU USE THIS NAME ON YOUR NEW SERVER YOUR MIGRATION WILL FAIL.  You need to change this name to match the name of what the BlackBerry Manager shows for your BES Server Name on your current server.  Most likely, this is that servers hostname.

The first thing you want to do is get the Windows Server 2003 patched and happy.  After it is patched you want do download and install MS SQL Server 2005 Express. Setting up the database first will help a lot.  Then you'll want to download and install MS SQL Server Management Studio Express.  It is a slimmed down version of the full SQL management studio.

By default, when you install SQL Server 2005 Express it does not install in the default instance, but rather in a named instance such as SERVERNAME\SQLExpress (in fact that is what it is by default).  If you do the advanced setup option I think you can pick the default instance which will help you a bit... I'd recommend that too if you're comfortable with it.

Then, give this a read over: KB12247 - How to move from an MSDE database to a Microsoft SQL Server database .  The next step in the process will be to follow Procedure 1 Task 2 (there is no need to do Task 1).  What you're doing here is creating a shell BESMgmt database, creating the requisite jobs in SQL server, and making the appropriate entries in sql server system databases so it knows about the database.  When you do an installation it does all this for you, but as you're doing a migration you do some of this manually for a migration without issue.

After you've created the database you then want to shut down the BES services on your current server and set all of the services to disabled.  You don't want these guys accidentally starting up.

You then want to backup the database on the current BES.  From KB12247 follow Procedure 2 Task 1.  You then want to copy that file over to the new server and restore that database; Procedure 2 Task 2.  Be sure you read through everything really clearly and understand exactly what it is asking you to do.

You can then perform the installation on the new server.

When completed don't start the services, but rather follow the instructions here:

KB13618 - How to update the MDSConfig table referencing a server other then the one it should be map...

If you don't you'll notice the MDS Connection Service won't start and people won't be able to browse the web through the BES on their HHs.

After you make that change, reboot!  The services should start up automatically and you can consider yourself migrated.

After that check out my script to perform a scheduled BESMgmt DB Backup & FTP to remote server and also check out my script to zip BES logs.

Good luck!

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor
DJMattyG

Hi, I am currently having a nightmare of a time migrating BES to new hardware. We had 3.6 BES running on a Win 2k server. We use Exchange 2003. We have 50 users, some of which will have very large mailboxes (probably 40GB between the 50 users - I don't know if this is relevant).

Following one set of instructions, I upgraded our current BES to 4.1.6. No problems. I had a time when two installed servers were both running and had an issue with the SRP key which was quickly resolved from T-Mobile (who our BB's are from).

To cut a long story short, I have a new Win 2003 server, MSDE2000a, all pre-requisites met (MDAC, ESM etc..) I've used the OSQL commands on the old box to backup the database and on other attempts, have also used MS SQL Enterprise Manager from another SQL server we have in our domain.

Here is one problem I keep experiencing... it won't let me create a database called BESMgmt on the local server. I can confirm that there is no database of this name already. It does create it but then gives a SQL error (sorry - I don't have this to hand but can get it). It offers to update but it doesn't work and suggests I delete and recreate it.

If I rename it to anything else, it works. I have also tried the createdb besmgmt.cmd command as well (as listed in KB12247) and tried various things.

Now, this hasn't necessarily stopped me. One thing I could do to work around was specify a remote server (our MS SQL 2000 server). So there is now a database on there called BESMgmt and I have restored the old data into it.

I can shut down (or stop services) on the old BES and start the new BES (oh, I have also followed the MDSConfig instructions in KB13618).  When I start the new server, it all starts fine. BB Manager states the server is running and the MDS server is running. All the users are there. The BB server name is correct and there are no additional servers listed (as if I have used a wrong name somewhere along the line).

It should be working, yet it doesn't. The last update times per handheld remain the old times. I know there is an issue where email delivery to handhelds can be delayed (KB04789). I have left it for an hour but still no movement on emails. Lookups also fail.

The only key thing to point out is that the besmgmt.bak database was taken 2 days ago and I am using that. Since then, the old BES has been operational again. I wouldn't have thought this would have mattered. But what I may try is over the weekend, do another backup, switch the new server back on, restore the database to that and see if it starts to work over the weekend.

Also, the old BES server had a system DSN but the new one doesn't. Am I being thick - is this required?

Any help would be very much appreciated. I'm tearing what little hair I have left, out of my head!!

Thanks,

Mat G

Birmingham, UK

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

OK you have a working BES and a seperate SQL server.

I would switch from MSDE to SQL and start fresh.

Delete the DB from SQL and start again here

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB03112&slic...

Then do knife edge cutover when all is well.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10278&slic...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
DJMattyG

Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestions. However, I have followed the instructions as best I could but am still having difficulties.

I did move the database on to our MS SQL Server 2000 (i.e., not MSDE or SQl 2005 Express). This is on a seperate server from the BES software and works fine. I was quite pleased at getting to this stage and felt certain that the knife-edge cutover would work well.

But I get the other server live and point to the remote database and it doesn't work. I then tried renaming the old server and named the new server to the same as the original one. I even changed the IP address. But it just doesn't work. I also tried restoring the database back to the SQL server just in case the new server had changed anything prior to the new server having its name changed (I hope you can follow all that).

To put it simply, I had a working server with a BlackBerry name of BESMinworth on a server with a Windows name of BES pointing to a MS SQL Server called SQL2000. I then stopped services and changed the name, and got a new box up and running and ended up with a non-working server with a BlackBerry name of BESMinworth on a server with a Windows name of BES pointing to a MS SQL Server called SQL2000 (i.e., exactly the same).

At this point, the SRP Status showed connected, all services started and the server and MDS showed as started. But it just fails to work. Messages don't come through to handhelds.

I then renamed servers again to make the original server have the working name. This then works straight away. So I do have a working BES, but I just can't move it to the new 2003 hardware.

Hope this all makes sense,

Thanks,

Mat G

Birmingham, UK

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

[ Edited ]

Possible the MAPI profile on the new one is corrupt.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10285&slic...

Do you get any errors in the apps log on the new server?

Have you looked at the BES logs as well?

Message Edited by knottyrope on 02-23-2009 04:56 PM

New Contributor
DJMattyG

Again, thanks for the prompt reply. I will check out the MAPI profile tomorrow when I am back in the office.

Thanks for the advice on checking the logs... I am an IT Systems Admin but sheepishly admit I hadn't checked these yet (sometimes, you forget the basics!!). I've just had a quick look, and without posting too much, the following appears in the Windows App Event Log:

EventID 20399 from the BlackBerry Dispatcher: [BIPPe] Authentication failed for S287****:C3,IPPP:Authentication Failed [1]

(note S287**** is actually our SRP key which I have masked)

Along with this, there are also EventID 20406 from BlackBerry Controller: 'BESMinworth' agent 1: will not restart - reached the maximum of 10 restarts per 24 hours

I've had a quick look in BES logs and have seen the following sort of errors:

(Application Event Log on BES) | 02/23/2009 16:48:01  (6FFFC39C) -> Starting BlackBerry Mailbox Agent 1 for Server BESMinworth - Version 4.1.6.11
[30000] (02/23 16:48:02.762):{0x1054} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
[30000] (02/23 16:48:02.762):{0x105C} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent BESMinworth Agent 1 (Application Event Log on BES) | 02/23/2009 16:48:01  (6FFFC381) -> Waiting for external UDP log messages on port 4085
[30000] (02/23 16:48:02.762):{0x1054} Alarm::ThreadProc: Received an alarm message
[30000] (02/23 16:48:02.762):{0x105C} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent BESMinworth Agent 1 (Application Event Log on BES) | 02/23/2009 16:48:01  (AFFF4EA9) -> MailboxManager::smileyfrustrated:ubsystemInitialize - g_pSession->OpenMsgStore (0x80040111)
[30000] (02/23 16:48:02.762):{0x105C} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent BESMinworth Agent 1 (Application Event Log on BES) | 02/23/2009 16:48:01  (AFFF4EA9) -> MailboxManager::smileyfrustrated:ubsystemInitialize - g_pSession->OpenMsgStore (0x80040111)
[30000] (02/23 16:48:02.762):{0x105C} [Alarm::ActivateAlarm] Queuing alarm: <N/A> | BlackBerry Messaging Agent BESMinworth Agent 1 (Application Event Log on BES) | 02/23/2009 16:48:01  (EFFF2825) -> BlackBerry Messaging Agent BESMinworth Agent 1 failed to start. Error code 5305

There is a lot more info but too much to list. When I am in the office tomorrow, I'll spend a bit of time trying to work out what may be up and do some searches on these errors.

Thanks for all your advice so far. I greatfully look forward to any more info you can provide.

Thanks,

Mat G

Birmingham, UK