Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
samkenny
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810, OS 7.1.0.694

New contact emailed as attachment cannot then be emailed - red X is displayed

We're seeing a problem for one particular user whereby when they are emailed a contact (either from another Blackberry or Outlook), the user cannot then send an email to that contact from their Blackberry. 

The user opens the attachment, selects the email address and then 'Email <Contact Name>' from the menu.  They then get a red X in the mailbox and a message saying 'address cannot be read'.

I cannot reproduce the problem on any other Blackberry account no matter how hard I try.  The user in question has the same problem on multiple Blackberries (all Torches) and for all contacts emailed to them.

There are no other issues with email for this user on their Blackberry.  I have resent Service Books and the user has also popped the battery multiple times.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much,

Sam

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: New contact emailed as attachment cannot then be emailed - red X is displayed

Hello -- is this a BES environment?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
samkenny

Re: New contact emailed as attachment cannot then be emailed - red X is displayed

Yes.  Sorry, I guess I should have stated that to begin with.

It is a BES environment.  We are running 5.0.3.31.

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

possible the users has an old contact with wrong email address?

or using GAL remote lookup?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
samkenny

Thank you for replying.

Good idea in terms of the old contact.  We had checked for this and it is not the case.

All contacts being sent to the user are new, external, users - and the contact has the email address in it.  Can you please elaborate on your quesion about 'using GAL remote lookup'.  Because these users are external they would not be in the GAL.

Thanks

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Set user on static agent, have them send a new contact and see wht the logs show if any thing.

default location :\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerryEnterprise Server\Logs

Also look in event veiwer to seef if any errors or warnings pertain to your issue

Please post back the log info minus personal info

to isolate an affected user on a static messaging agent , then look for the MAGT log for that agent (while trying to send/receive messages). The format you'll be looking for is:

BESName_MAGT_##_yyyymmdd_####.txt

Where the first pair of digits are the Agent ID you set.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
samkenny

Thanks for this.  It may take a few days to contact the user and reproduce the issue.  But the user has been setup on static agent and can thus review the logs when it occurs.

Thanks again for your help - will post when I have more information.