Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

New users stuck in "initializing" status on BB server

New install of BB Server v4.1.3.16 on Win2003 Server running Exchange 2003 - Triple verified that permissions are setup correctly. When I start BB manager, it starts perfectly and MAPI profile works flawless. Under BB Domain, it shows my exchange server - I can go ahead and add a new user, (which let's me select form my GAL) but, after the user is added - they are stuck in a status of "initializing". I attempted to assign a device all three ways (direct attached to server, through Desktop software and wirelessly) but cannot complete. The users I have added have been stuck in this state for over 4 days. What am I missing? Also - from what I've read, there is supposed to be a new tab in the user's MS account called "Blackberry"?? If so, I do not have that either. Any help would be much appreciated!
New Contributor

Re: New users stuck in "initializing" status on BB server

Hey,

check the application logs under Event Viewer to see if you're getting any Warnings or Errors generated by any BlackBerry service.

Typically, you see something along the lines of "One User failed to Inititalize" "User Not started"

If you see that, we're having issues accessing that user's mailbox.

Also, there's a utility called IMEStest located under C:\Program Files\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility

Run this program via the command prompt.

When you get to it and run it, it will ask you to choose a profile - choose BlackBerryServer.

Once you've done that, the GAL will pop up. Select one of these users, and click okay. This program checks to see if the BES Service Account has sufficient permissions to access the mailbox.

If you're unable to open the mail store, then post here for more steps. If you're able to, let us know.

New Contributor

Hello Jack - thanks for the quick response. I checked the App log - I have a ton of warning messages with the latest one being "Connect - error calling localhost (127.0.0.1) (0)" by the policy generator. I also have a warning from the BB Sync and exchange connector about being unable to reach host (SERVERNAME) (Internal IP) {My Exchnage server info} but this last occured on 8/29. Most of the others seem very generic and go back to when I intially installed the software months ago.

I ran the IMEStest program and selected the Blackberry Server profile. I picked my name from the GAL then the box closed....I guess if it didn't work, I'd recieve an error?

-Rick

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

the command iemstest needs to be run from the command line to see the output from it.

Check out this thread on EA Issues

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

Andy,

I checked that whole thread and every link - could not find what you were suggesting. :smileysad:

-Rick

Forums Veteran II

If you remove the user through the BlackBerry Manager and then re-add and set an enterprise activation password what happens when you attempt to perfom an EA from the HH?  What error is displayed on the HH?

New Contributor

The server is not responding. Please contact your system administrator. (Took about 15 min from when I performed the Remove/Add)

Forums Veteran II

If you have added the user to the BES and set an enterprise activation password, you should then contact the carrier to ensure that a BlackBerry Enterprise data plan is provisioned and not a BIS / BlackBerry Internet plan only.

New Contributor

Hello. I spoke with Verizon, and we are on the correct plan for all 14 BB devices. I installed the SP6 yesterday and restarted the system - same thing. I tried an enterprise activation and the system stated that it could not find the server. The problem looks to me like the BB server cannot communicate correctly with Exchange.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

[ Edited ]

try the following:

One last time please verify permissions as per http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/kb02276  and verify exch server permissions down to mailbox store level.

Log on BES under besadmin (service account) and make sure all bb services are running under besadmin other than attachment and database consistency service.

Run IEMSTEST from command -> go to command prompt and browse to the folder where iemstest utility is and then run it from there, choose BBmanager as profile and select affected user and post the results of this test here. (if test fails, permissions are not good)

No user is yet activated on this BES?

Make sure besdmin mailbox is not hidden and besadmin is not member of domain admins.

Is the ETP message arriving in users exchange mailbox (inbox)? is the message stuck in inbox or disappears after it arrives? 

If everything above is good, assign user to static agent on BES (KB12766)  and try EA again. (make sure to reset EA pw eveytime you try EA) 

Message Edited by BBsingh on 09-05-2008 10:44 PM
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.