Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
dayleb
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Outlook Calendar doesn't sync

Hello,

Apologies that my 1st post is a question

I have a problem with Outlook Calendar synchronization on all handhelds, the appointments do not replicate either way. A month ago we installed a new Server running SBS 2008 and updated the Blackberry Software on the dedicated Server to 4.1.6.9. Everything else is working fine apart from the Calendar synchronization. I think the problem may have started when the migration took place, the users are unsure when the synchronization stopped as they never used there handhelds over Christmas and have only just noticed the problem.

Exchange Server = Windows 2008 SBS (Running Exchange 2007)

Blackberry Server = Windows 2000, BES version 4.1.6.9

There are several errors in the application log of the Blackberry Server (see below for an example)

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: BlackBerry Messaging Agent SERVERNAME Agent 1

Event Category: None

Event ID: 20216

Date: 14/01/2009

Time: 14:27:20

User: N/A

Computer: SERVERNAME

Description: {email address} Synchronize() failed: ERR_FAIL, Tag=6639

I verified that the versions of cdo.dll were the same on both the Blackberry and Exchange Servers

Exchange Server = c:\program files (x86)\exchangemapi\cdo.dll (version 6.5.8039.0)

BB Server = C:\Program Files\ExchangeMapi\cdo.dll (version 6.5.8039.0)

I found the following key in the Blackberry Server registry...... HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{3FA7DEB3-6438-101B-ACC1-00AA00423326}\InprocServer32 = C:\Program Files\ExchangeMapi\\cdo.dll (notice the double backslash, is this ok?)

There is an older version of cdo.dll in c:\winnt\system32 (version 6.5.6944.0)

I found a number of articles suggesting things to do but as I'm not what you would call an expert on the Blackberry software (my colleague who is away on holiday configured the Blackberry Server and is the in house expert for all Blackberry matters) I thought I would post a new thread and ask for help.

Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Outlook Calendar doesn't sync

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dayleb

I can confirm that correct permissions have been set on the Exchange Server as per the 2nd link.

I read a comment earlier which recommened loading the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 (as per the 1st link) on the BES Server.  As everything else was syncronizing I decided to wait for a 2nd opinion before I went ahead as I wasn't sure what implications this would have on the BES Server.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
FaceMan

If you look at the agent log and search for CDO.DLL, what version is the BES using? Should show the log line right after midnight and right after the agent starts up if it restarted. You stated there were 2 versions on the box so it would be intresting to see which one was picked up.

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
bbinmyhart
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]
BES will always use one in c:\winnt\system32 folder. (if there is one there)
Message Edited by bbinmyhart on 01-15-2009 09:13 AM
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
FaceMan

If that's the case then BES is using base 2003 cdo since its in the directory which i can see being a problem since Exchange is 2007.

You should be able to copy over the CDO from  C:\Program Files\ExchangeMapi\cdo.dll (version 6.5.8039.0) to the System32 directory and restart the services.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dayleb

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the help guys - I re-entered the "Send As, Receive As, and Administer Information Store permissions" for the Besadmin account (as mentioned in the 2nd link posted by bbinmyhart) and this seems to have fixed the problem.

I had a warning message saying the permissions were already present so it looks like the permissions were not set correctly? It works ok on the 1st 2 Blackberries tested, we are currently testing the rest, will confirm shortly.

Message Edited by dayleb on 01-15-2009 02:40 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dayleb

I can confirm that the syncronization is now working on all handhelds.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
MattUK
My Device: All of them

You should still address the CDO version issue though.
==============================
Be alert!
.. The world needs more lerts.

If someone has helped answer your problem, or you think their post is useful, why not hit the green KUDOS button to thank them?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nasigoreng

Regarding the KB12483 (many many posts refer to it) I have an issue with the Exchange 2007 ADPermissions. The document clearly says to assign "GenericWrite" access-rights to the account. However when I perform the check with the command (see below) it comes up with "Self" and "WriteProperty".  Is that correct??

[PS] C:\>Get-MailboxServer <mailservername> | Get-ADPermission -user besadmin | fl

User                : <domain name>\besadmin
Identity            : <mail server name>
Deny                : False
AccessRights        : {Self, WriteProperty, GenericRead}

Thanks for replying to my post...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BES Express 5.0.1.13 (standalone) and 4 Exchange 2007 servers
Please use plain text.