Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Personal e-mail accounts with BES

Is it possible to add personal e-mail accounts to BB 9700 device with corporate e-mail activated - device mail, calander and contacts sync remotely with company server. I want to add a personal GMail IMAP account, but need to know if it will be separate from the office mails - privacy purposes mainly.

Also, is it possible to have a second address book on my BB 9700 device that is not wirelessly synced with my office server? I would like to have contacts on my device (phone numbers etc.) that I would prefer not to be stored and backed up on my company server.

Thanks, Sean

Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Personal e-mail accounts with BES

1. Yes, a corporate BES account can have (I think) nine personal BIS accounts, like Gmail.

There could be a restriction from your own employer, but you'd need to ask them that.

2. To keep your on-device Address Book from being shared:  Address Book > Options > Wireless Synchronization = On/Off

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telkomsel

Thanks J,

I will ask the IT dudes in the US about access - at the moment there is no icon for e-mail in the setup option - I guess this is due to IT protocol.

The issue with my address book is as follows:

- I have two BB's at the moment - one from the company on a BES account with a Singapore corporate SIM card - and my own personal BB with a local Indonesian SIM card on a BIS account. I live in Indonesia, but am at the office in Singapore for a dayor two each week.

- My personal BB has two e-mail accounts: one for my personal consultancy business through Google Apps (with own domain name), and an IMAP GMail account. I have all of my own contacts syncing between the device and my Google Apps account - using auto Google Sync for calander and contacts.

- On my personal device, I managed to set up the US corporate e-mail using the OWA option. Although the e-mails are delayed a bit, I seem to receive all mails and I can send straight from the device. The only thing is that my device does not receive a copy of mails sent from Outlook, and the contacts do not sync.

- My company BB is on BES and wirelessly syncs mails, contacts and calander as normal - it also receives copies of any messages sent from my personal device throuh OWA as sent items.

- My issue is that I want to try to combine both devices so that I do not have to carry two devices - bit of a pain! Also, I have different contacts on each device - if I only bring one out, I invariably end up needing contact details that are on the other one.

- I do not want to upload all of my personal contacts on my company BB as they will be stored and backed up forever on the company server!

- My personal BB (on BIS plan) has unlimited data and free data roaming all over Asia, so I don't incur huge costs. The company one does not and, as it is a Singapore SIM, I am pretty much roaming all of the time!

Is it possible to link the company e-mail to my BIS account so it appears as an additional account (maybe BES Express), but I still have the concern of keeping my own data as private..

Maybe I am talking nonsense and what I think I want is not feasible at all, but I though I would ask you just in case you have any advice.

The other option I thought of - is it possible to use an iPhone 4G with a BB BES server? if it is possible, I could see if the US company would provide me with a new iPhone!!

Thanks for your help and sorry about the long winded questions above. Cheers, Sean

Solutions: 6,112
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Wow, let me see if i can help with any of those questions.

I also noticed you posted the same question in another thread, and duplicating your posts here just confuses things.

Let throw a wrench in here real quick, about using one BlackBerry for both purposes, your employer and your own personal consulting business... Most IT Policies on a BES allow sending only from the BES email account. Of course I do not know if you employer restricts that, you'd have to ask.

seanobu1 wrote:

Is it possible to link the company e-mail to my BIS account so it appears as an additional account (maybe BES Express), but I still have the concern of keeping my own data as private..

yes, mentioned above already.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

If I have a BES corporate account, can I also use Google Sync app to sync my contacts & calendar? The phone is my own, so its not a corporate IT issue.

I would like to have the contacts mingle but not duplicate on the BB Torch 9810. Right now, they are duplicating on my BB Torch 9800, and when I move to my new phone I'd like to do it right.

It wouldn't be a big deal, but I have a phone log that tracks my phone calls for my clients & partners, and I like to have that in the Google calendar so that it is easily searchable. Also, I use the Gmail contacts as my live backup, in case of phone failure.

Even if the contacts and calendar only PUSHED TO Gmail, I'd be fine. I just don't want more duplicates!

John The Mortgage Guy
BB TORCH 9800 / OS 6.0.0.246 at time of this post / WiFi Active