Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Optus

Planning upgrade via cutover process - Upgrade DB questions

Hi

I'm in the middle of planning an upgrade to a clients BES system from 4.1.6 to 5.0.3.  

The current enviroment is running a single standalone server and an SQL instance to host the BES Configuration Database. 

The new enviroment will be two BES servers (Active/Standby) with the BES Configuration Database hosted on a SQL cluster

My current plan of attack is to perform an inplace upgrade to 4.1.7 (minimum version required to upgrade to 5). Then create two new hosts for BlackBerry 5.0.3 (active/standby pair). 

According to the upgrade guide, I can install BES 5.0.3 on the new servers, upgrade the existing DB and migrate users over (running the two different versions side by side, using different SRPs).

If I were to do this, would the upgrade of the database prevent the current enviroment working (as it would be a new version than what BES 4.1.6 is expecting)?  Or could I copy the DB to the cluster upgrade it and migrate users over without issue?

Many thanks

Owen

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Planning upgrade via cutover process - Upgrade DB questions

[ Edited ]

Yes the curover process and using transporter will work well.

Here is most of the documentation you need will to install and administer the BB 5.0 server:

Server 5.0 Upgrade Paths:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/server/upgradepath.jsp

Server 5.0 Intsallation Support:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/software/serverinstall.jsp

Server 5.0 Upgarde guide:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7315/index.jsp?name=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Serve...=

BlackBerry Enterprise Server Resource Kit Docs and Files

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=D736BB10D83A904AEFC1D6CE93DC54B8

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/subcategories/?userType=2&category=BlackBerry%20Enterprise%20Ser...

Server 5.0 Admin Tutorial:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7466/flash_start.html

All Server guides:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/?userType=2

Then when you are done with the above follow this one if going to Exchange 2010

How to migrate the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0 from Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or 2007 to M...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Optus

I have the documentation, thanks. 

The Upgrade guide has a section dealing with cutover, from pages 53 through 58.  It provides details on upgrading the database and then installing the new version. 

What it does not mention is if there is any impact to upgrading the BES Configuration Database, when the current system will be running 4.1.7. In other words, is it possible for BES 4.1.7 and BES 5.0.3 to run side by side, using the same configuration database?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

OwenB wrote:

I have the documentation, thanks. 

The Upgrade guide has a section dealing with cutover, from pages 53 through 58.  It provides details on upgrading the database and then installing the new version. 

What it does not mention is if there is any impact to upgrading the BES Configuration Database, when the current system will be running 4.1.7. In other words, is it possible for BES 4.1.7 and BES 5.0.3 to run side by side, using the same configuration database?

with the cutover, you go straight to BES 5

to run both side by side, Install BES 5 on a new server and then use transporter to move users over.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: STC

Hi Guys,

Even I am facing with a similar scenario. I have 3 BES servers running on 4.1.6 version and we are planning to upgrade them first to BES 5.0 and then apply latest sp 3.In order to reduce the downtime, we are planning to upgrade each server on daily basis which means if we upgrade 1 BES server to BES 5.0.3, then others will still persists with 4.1.6.

But now our concern is that, with the upgrade of 1st BES server, the BES configuration database will also be upgraded, so in such case, will the remaining 2 BES serves working on old version continue to work without any issue???

Please help !!!

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: STC

Still waiting for advise. Please help !

Guru III
My Device:

mirmujahed wrote:

Hi Guys,

Even I am facing with a similar scenario. I have 3 BES servers running on 4.1.6 version and we are planning to upgrade them first to BES 5.0 and then apply latest sp 3.In order to reduce the downtime, we are planning to upgrade each server on daily basis which means if we upgrade 1 BES server to BES 5.0.3, then others will still persists with 4.1.6.

But now our concern is that, with the upgrade of 1st BES server, the BES configuration database will also be upgraded, so in such case, will the remaining 2 BES serves working on old version continue to work without any issue???

Please help !!!

Thanks.

Stop services on all BES servers, upgrade your first choice of server and then you can start services on the old ones.

You wont be able to use BB manager anymore, but you can use BAS on teh upgraded server.