Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
knada242
My Device: Not Specified

Preventing Blackberry sync with desktop manager

I have BlackBerry Enterprise server set up on our Exchange server for the wireless synchronization of emails and contacts. I need to prevent any phone connected to the exchange server from syncing the address book to any other device. I see in the policy manager how to prevent this via Bluetooth, but how would I prevent someone from syncing using the desktop manager? Can I disable the use of the USB connector? Is there a predefined policy, or is there one that can be custom built and imported?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Preventing Blackberry sync with desktop manager

knada242 wrote:
I have BlackBerry Enterprise server set up on our Exchange server for the wireless synchronization of emails and contacts. I need to prevent any phone connected to the exchange server from syncing the address book to any other device. I see in the policy manager how to prevent this via Bluetooth, but how would I prevent someone from syncing using the desktop manager? Can I disable the use of the USB connector? Is there a predefined policy, or is there one that can be custom built and imported?

Ok, lets clarify this a bit ... You need to prevent any BlackBerry handheld connected to your BES (BlackBerry handhelds do not connect to Exchange ... they never communicate directly with a BES enabled Exchange user; everything goes through the BES.

All BES Policies can be found in the BES Policy Reference Guide ... I don't think you can prevent a tethered sync; it doesn't look like you can in teh guide, but maybe I'm missing something.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
IceMage
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Unfortunately, I don't think you can do this within the Blackberry (BES) environment.  You'll need to look more into Group Policies and the such.  Perhaps you can find something that prevents Outlook from sharing its information with other programs... or specific programs in this case.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

in IT policy

under Desktop Only items.

Show Application Loader to FALSE so they can't use DM

IT POLICY
You can find all the available IT policies from the Policy Reference Guide @
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/8067/645045/7963/1139827/Bla...

The Admin Guide will give you details information of how to assign IT policy
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/3510/BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_Wireless_Software_Upgrad...

Basically
1. In the BlackBerry® Manager, in the left pane, click BlackBerry Domain.
2. On the Global tab, click Edit Properties.
3. Click IT Policy.
4. In the IT Policy Administration section, double-click IT Policies.
5. Click an IT policy.
6. Click Properties.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.