Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
hudspeg
My Device: Blackberry Enterprise Server 5
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Problem Upgrading BES 5.0.3 to 5.0.4

[ Edited ]

When attempting to upgrade from BES 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 the database upgrade fails.

Checking the install log the following error message is displayed:

[30000] (09/16 14:18:22.476):{0x2424} SQL being executed:   EXECUTE CreateDatabaseObject @ObjectType='P', @ObjectName='PreloadDetailsLookup'; EXECUTE CreateDatabaseObject @ObjectType='P', @ObjectName='GetUpdatedColumns'; [20000] (09/16 14:18:22.538):{0x2424} [CBESDBInstaller::executeRetryDDL] COM Error 0x80040E14 - IDispatch error #3092 - Source: "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" - Description "INSERT failed because the following SET options have incorrect settings: 'ARITHABORT'. Verify that SET options are correct for use with indexed views and/or indexes on computed columns and/or query notifications and/or xml data type methods." Native error = 1934 [20000] (09/16 14:18:22.538):{0x2424} [CBESDBInstaller::executeRetryDDL] SQL Error for:

EXECUTE CreateDatabaseObject @ObjectType='P', @ObjectName='PreloadDetailsLookup'; EXECUTE CreateDatabaseObject @ObjectType='P', @ObjectName='GetUpdatedColumns'; [10000] (09/16 14:18:22.538):{0x2424} An attempt to upgrade the database was unsuccessful. An error occurred while executing an SQL statement.

System Config:

BES 5.0.3 MR8

Mail Server - Lotus Domino 8.5.3 FP4

SQL - SQL Express 2005

Any help appreciated

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
LoneWolf902
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, BlackBerry Q10, Bold 9900

Re: Problem Upgrading BES 5.0.3 to 5.0.4

Hello hudspeg,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thank you for your question regarding upgrading issues. 

We have seen this a few times below. One thing to check would be the compatibility level of SQL.

Note: Prior to performing the following resolution, create a backup the BlackBerry Configuration Database. For more information, see KB10292.

Change the Compatibility Level of a Database using the following steps in SQL Server Management Studio

1. After connecting to the appropriate instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, in Object Explorer, click the server name
  2. Expand Databases, and locate the BlackBerry Configuration Database (The default name is BESMgmt)
  3. Right-click the database, and then click Properties
  4. The Database Properties dialog box opens
  5. In the Select a page pane, click Options
  6. The current compatibility level is displayed in the Compatibility level list box
  7. To change the compatibility level, select a different option from the list that matches the current version of SQL being used

SQL Server 2005 (90)
    SQL Server 2008 (100)
    SQL Server 2012 (110)

8. Click OK
  9. Close SQL Server Management Studio
  10. Resume the the BlackBerry Enterprise Server installation

Let me know if you have any other questions.

- LW

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hudspeg

Thanks for the reply LW

Unfortunatley, the Compatability Level is set at SQL Server 2005 (90) - the correct value.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

if it is SQL express, upgrade to SQL express 2008

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hudspeg

That's worked fine - thanks for your help
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

your welcome

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ccan
My Device: Curve 8320
My Carrier: Zain

Hi Knottyrope I upgraded the sql to 2008 express, but I still get the same error "an attempt to upgrade the database was unsuccessful. an error occurred while executing an sql statement" Could you please guide me as I need to upgrade exchange 2007 to 2010 urgently. Thanks Chris
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

were you logged in as BESAdmin service account?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ccan
My Device: Curve 8320
My Carrier: Zain

Thank you Knottyrope

the problem has been resolved by changing the compatibility of BESmgmt database to 100 in SQL

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

glad to hear it

Please use plain text.