Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problem with over-the-air activation with BES v4.1.6.9, Exchange 2007, and Outlook 2007

We've just recently installed BES v4.1.6.9 against our Exchange 2007 server.  Everything tests-out perfectly.

If we do the BES activation for the handheld by using the "over-the-wire" method of tethering the Blackberry to the PC and using Desktop Manager, the activation works fine, and the device can be used normally once activation is completed.

If we attempt to do an over-the-air activation, it fails every time.

What we've found by trial-and-error is that Outlook 2007 is moving the activation messages into the Junk folder.  By looking at the messages sent to Junk, we've complied a list of email addresses which when we add to the safe senders list on each user's Outlook we can do the OTA activation and it works properly.  That list is as follows:

network@etp1001.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1002.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1003.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1004.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1005.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1006.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1007.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1008.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1009.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1010.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1101.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1102.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1103.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1104.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1105.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1106.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1107.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1108.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1109.etp.na.blackberry.net
network@etp1110.etp.na.blackberry.net

We see this problem with every single user on our email system - it's not just a particular user.  Every user experiences the same OTA activation problem, and can be corrected in the same way by adding the entries above to their Outlook safe senders list.  But getting each user to import that safe senders list is obviously less than ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming this on an enterprise-wide basis?  I'd assume others have encountered this same issue, but I haven't located any postings about it on the forums here.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: Problem with over-the-air activation with BES v4.1.6.9, Exchange 2007, and Outlook 2007

The message you are seeing is the activation email.

When you input a users email address and password into the device to Enterprise Activate, it sends an encrypted email message in the form of etp.dat.

This contains the info required by the blackberry server to complete the wireless sync.

These emails can be modified or changed in anyway (this includes being moved to another folder)

So, its easily fixed, all you need to do is make sure those emails don't get put into the junk mail folder. add it to the safe sender list or something. I'm not too sure with the whole exchange thing, but if you fix it, then the email goes into the inbox, the bes can retrieve it and hey presto.. all done.

Hope that helps.. I can provide articles if you like

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
Retired
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: Problem with over-the-air activation with BES v4.1.6.9, Exchange 2007, and Outlook 2007

ditto, however I would recommend whitelisting the entire etp.na.blackberry.net domain in your corporate Anti-Virus/Anti-Spam soultion so you won't need a rule for each one of the activation server addresses. Outlook would also need to be configured to make sure all etp.na.blackberry.net doesn't hit the Outlook junk folder. You may be able to set the Outlook whitelist via Group Policy so you don't have to do it on each individual Outlook client but I have never attempted it.
BlackBerry Certification
Having the Knowledge is One Thing. Demonstrating It is Another
http://www.blackberry.com/certification
Highlighted
New Contributor

Bumblepie - yep, I'm clear on what those messages are and what they represent and why having them go to Junk is stopping activation.

The question I was asking was if anyone had a good idea for how to add them on an enterprise basis to everyone's Outlook safe senders list.

New Contributor

Highroad - yes, already whitelisted the etp.na.blackberry.net domain in corporate antispam.  Unfortunately that doesn't do anything for each user's individual Outlook 2007, since then Outlook itself applies its own antispam rules and moves these to Junk.

What I'm hoping is if someone has a specific idea or example how to automatically apply that list to everyone's safe senders list.  I'd agree this is likely a Group Policy object that we'd need, just wondering if anyone had actually done that and gotten the right result, and also if anyone had an example of what their GP object to solve this looked like.

Retired

This link from Microsoft Office Online may help

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011402621033.aspx

Robot wink

BlackBerry Certification
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Also, keep in mind you can just move the edp.dat message into your inbox, and it will activate.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Retired

Ooops, my bad... that link was for Outlook 2003. Configure junk e-mail settings in Outlook 2007 is actually http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179183.aspx

Sorry about that Robot tongue

BlackBerry Certification