Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
jujucocoabean
My Device: BES
My Carrier: Three

Problems activating/syncing email

Hello

BES 4.1.6, Exchange 2007 hosted with automation. Automation isn't in question as it's working normally.

CDO.DLL version 6.5.8039.0 registered ok

This is a stable environment and has been for quite some time. In the last week, with no updates applied or other configuration changes, I am getting a fair about of flak from global end users complaining their BlackBerries are no longer receiving email. Issues typically are no email or no activation.

It doesn't appear to be a specific carrier (mostly Vodafone in the UK, but some Orange), but I'm also seeing issues in various other places such as most of Europe and Australia and some North America.

The problem is, it's not all users. It's something like 20%. Everyone else is Ok.

There's nothing remarkable in the logs - the usual list of non-BES contract activations and the like.

I've seen some reports from other sites that there have been some issues in EMEA with RIM's infrastructure and that these issues have been resolved. As far as I can see, they haven't been resolved plus there's no note that I've found that this is an issue for RIM, so again no evidence either way.

I've had a look through the forums and checked a number of things and moved forward with general BES knowledge (which is always good to do) but still nothing particular of note - so far the BES server has checked out every time which is also supported by the fact that it's not everyone on the platform.

I'm not sure where to go from here, however.

Jujucocoabean

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Problems activating/syncing email

Can you apply SP7? There is an issue that the inbox stop being redirected on previous versions.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jujucocoabean

It would take some planning and not infeasible, but that would knock everyone out for a while.

Though it doesn't explain what we're getting. Some people before reported error but after re-activating were ok.

I'm suspecting something amiss at RIM but it's tricky to pin down.

Jujucocoabean

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jujucocoabean

Thanks, that's interesting. It's possible it is affecting some, but there's one event in the application log for today. Doesn't explain the others.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Did you look at past logs?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jujucocoabean

Recent logs were similarly scant (at most 30 since 4/9).

This server has ~330 users on it, and about 40 are not working.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I would apply SP7, takes only about 20 minutes or so and move forward to see if the others are not working.

Send a message from your email account to the users in BAS with this in subject line.

<$confirm,removeondelivery> Test BES 123

That might help weed out the ones not working

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jujucocoabean

Hello

First off, liking the <$confirm,removeondelivery> method, though after looking about a bit I prefer to use

<$Confirm,RemoveOnDelivery,SuppressSaveInSentItems> but YMMV.

Second, we actually upgraded to BES 5, but we're still seeing this seemingly random issue.

After many days of research it's looking like worker threads are faulting and dumping, causing disconnections for any mailbox on that Exchange cluster. Some which reconnect OK afterwards, some don't. We're currently checking to see if there are any corrupted items in the mailboxes causing this.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jujucocoabean

Please use plain text.