Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
joshva
My Device: Not Specified

Question on MDS Connection Service

Is it possible to setup the BES to allow Internet Traffice on a Blackberry device without havin the MDS connection service enabled?  We don't have any Intranet applications that we need the MDS connection service for.  If I disable it and the user tries to browse they get a 503 error.  As long as the MDS connection service is enabled they can browse fine.  I have tried several different settings like change the browser type to Internet in the Advanced settings and in the browser itself but it always comes back to the 503 error if the service isn't enabled.  My other question is what happens if the server is unavailable?  Will users be unable to browse the internet if this server is down?  Please provide any insight that you can on this issue.  I just want the users to be able to browse the internet without having to connect back to our corporate server.  We are all using Blackberry Storms at this point.  Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Re: Question on MDS Connection Service

Have you tried changing the browser? opening browser/options/general settings and changing it to a diffrent browser at the top?

On your mds part of the question, I'm not sure,  I've never really tried it.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
joshva
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Question on MDS Connection Service

I did change the browser type.  It seems to have no effect.  One interesting thing is that if I set the browser type to Internet in Options->Advanced Options->Browser and then go the actual web browser and look in the Options there it will initially say Internet Browser.  After I browse to a web site and then look at the Options in the browser itself it will have changed to Blackberry Browser.  If I go back to Options->Advanced Options->Browser it still says Internet Browser.  So not sure what is going on but I don't think it is working as designed.  As far as policies go I am using a virtual copy of the Default IT Policy so it is mostly wide open from what I can tell.  If the MDS service is disabled I will always get 503 errors until it is enabled again.
Please use plain text.