Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Developer
WhirlpoolBrian
My Device: Not Specified

RTSP streaming from an intranet server

[ Edited ]

Hello, all! This is my first post. Thank you for offering this community as a resource.

I'm developing some interactive communications that involve a Blackberry-formatted intranet website.

To this website, I'd like to add some audio and video.

My first attempt was to post an mp3 file to the server and access it via HTTP. I recieved the "413 Request entity too large" message.

So I then looked to how YouTube works - RTSP!

I installed the open source (and VERY easy to install!) Apple Darwin Streaming Server on my intranet server to test and verified that it works by streaming a QuickTime file to my PC.

From my Blackberry, I can use the Browser to successfully access web content from the server. However, if I link from that web cotnent to RTSP streaming content on the same server, I see the error message "Contnet not available. Server is blocked or unresponsive."

Of course, I know that the server is both available (because I can reach it via the Browser) and responsive (because I can stream to my PC).

My theory is that while the Browser looks at my intranet in addition to the Internet, the media player application is only looking at the Internet for some reason.

What are your experiences with streaming to Blackberry from within the firewall? How have you overcome this and/or other issues?

Thank you!

■ BRIAN SNYDER // SENIOR MANAGER, INTERACTIVE COMMUNICATIONS AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT
Whirlpool Corporation // www.WhirlpoolCorp.com

Message Edited by WhirlpoolBrian on 04-24-2009 12:22 PM
Please use plain text.
Retired
CerealBypass
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360

Re: RTSP streaming from an intranet server

[ Edited ]

It sounds like you're on the right train of thought.

As it stands currently, RTSP streaming on the BlackBerry can only be done using WAP or Wi-Fi. Since the web server is internal, you can browse to it without issue using the MDS-CS, however, when you go to actually stream content, the browser switches over to WAP which doesn't have access to your internal web server, hence the error.

You MIGHT be able to stream over Wi-Fi. For the moment, I think that's going to be your only way around it.

Message Edited by CerealBypass on 04-27-2009 04:22 PM
WhirlpoolBrian

Thanks! That makes sense, but then how does YouTube work over the cellular airwaves?
Please use plain text.
Retired
CerealBypass

Youtube is its own beast. A lot of it has to do with the way traffic is compressed when browsing using the BlackBerry network.
CerealBypass

Actually ignore that. Youtube uses WAP as well, which means it's not compressed. I lost my mind for a second there.
Syner

cerealbypass,

why can't rtsp be done via BES?  do you happen to know?  is there a registry hack or anything to allow this via BES...
Please use plain text.
Retired
CerealBypass

RTSP works through WAP, which means it's not going to pass through the BlackBerry network. Since it doesn't pass through the BlackBerry network, there's no way for it to get to the BES.

Also, don't forget that everything between the device and the BES is compressed and encrypted, decompressing and decrypting streaming video data on the device side would be an impressive feat. Maybe we'll get there someday.

Right now, I'm not aware of any way to get it through the BES.

ThunderC
My Device: Torch 9800

So if the initial communication starts over MDS, but flips to WAP to tranfers the RTSP data, then it will always fail. (If the server you are communicating is behind the firewall.)

is there a way to forward the communication through your firewall to support packet trasfer of the RTSP Data, but the initial connection starts through MDS?

Please use plain text.
Developer
arunsingh

Hi all,

I have a similar issue related to RTSP streaming. I am having problem in streaming over RTSP if the Server is behind a firewall. Otherwise, it works just fine.

Ca anyone please explain to me what exactly is happening and whal should/can be done in this case ?

Thanks !

-arun

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
liljenn81270

I need a step by step guide-Anyone interested in helpong me??lol!I'm do clueless!:smileysad:
Please use plain text.