Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Retaining application control policy after 3rd party software update for previous version

Requirement:  User encounters no security permission prompts when running our 3rd party software (even for the first time running the software).  An application control policy is used together with a software configuration to ensure the user can run the application right after it has been pushed down from the BES to the device.  This has been found to work very nicely.

Problem:  When updating to the next version of our software, what I've read from the BES Help documents is simply to replace the old .alx and .cod files with the new ones in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Applications\respectiveappfolder" and index the software list again.  So I do that and check the software configuration in the BES to see if it has the updated version.  What shortly happens is that the application control policy assigned to the old version (A) becomes assigned to the new version (B).  The BES no longer recognizes the application control policy to be assigned to A and reverts the application permission settings on the device back to (what I'm assuming to be) default.  The device still has A because B has not yet been pushed down yet.  So if the user tries to run A, they will get all the security permission prompts.  I know that I can use the Deploy Application function to quickly deploy B but there is still a time frame where the user can encounter the permission pop ups.

Question:  Is there a way of retaining the application control policy for both versions throughout a software update?

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Retaining application control policy after 3rd party software update for previous version

No insight? =/
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: Retaining application control policy after 3rd party software update for previous version

Sorry I had to re-read it a few times, but no, there is no way to retain it for both versions using just the BES.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!