Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
chelsen
My Device: BlackBerry 9000 - Bold
Accepted Solution

S/MIME with smart cards

Hi,

I've been trying to get S/MIME with smart cards under BlackBerry working for a while now.

My main problems seems that I'm not using a CAC, but instead the commercial version SafeNet 330 as smart cards.

Where I'm stuck now is importing the X.509 cert from the SafeNet 330 into the BlackBerry. I managed to initialize the smart card (doesn't work through the BlackBerry SCR) and get a X.509 keypair via the SafeNet PKI middleware called Axis on the smartcard. From the PC I can use this keypair just fine.

But after trying to import the key into the Blackberry the import just stops after 9%. Is it possible that I need the ActivClient middleware even for a non-DoD SafeNet 330 card? To me it looks like the Axis middleware stores the keys differently on the smart card than ActivClient does.

Also: Which ActivClient version do I need for a plain SafeNet 330? Will the CAC version work, or do I need the Commercial version? 

I would be helpful for any pointer in the right direction.

Thanks

Chris

Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Re: S/MIME with smart cards

I'm not sure anyone here is going to be able to help you. Sorry Buddy

Try the developer forum, or this forum

http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/129728-any-encryption-des-rsa-x509.html

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor
chelsen
My Device: BlackBerry 9000 - Bold

Re: S/MIME with smart cards

I managed to get the full solution working: - For the SafeNet 330 smart card the correct Middleware to use is the SafeNet PKI. - You cannot use the BlackBerry SCR to initialize the smart cards. That has to be done with another SCR. - In order for the BlackBerry to pick up the certificates from the smart card you need to disconnect the reader and connect it again. Bottom-line: It works, but it was a long bumpy way to get there. What's especially a shame is that there is zero usable documentation from RIM on this topic. Chris