Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Save Attachment Setting

Just received the Blackberry Bold v4.6.0.162 and I'm using the Blackberry Enterprise Manager v4.1.2.25.

My users are unable to Save the Attachement (ZIP) to a Media Card, as there is no option in the menu.

I've read the manual for the Bold which states that the system Administator can enable this, well I'm the system Administrator I can't see how to do it. 

Any pointers would be gratefully recieved.

David 

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Save Attachment Setting

[ Edited ]

First, be aware that there is typically a 1 to 5 Meg attachment size limit for BlackBerry attachments.

Also, I'm pretty sure Zip file support may not have been available before OS 4.2.  Check the OS version of the user's BlackBerry OS version.

I have a Bold also (running 4.6.0.167 which is the latest OS for AT&T).  When I open the message, and hit [Menu] I have the options Open Attachment and Download Attachment.  I'm also on an Exchange BES running the latest version server OS.

If I open the attachment, the file names of the files contained within the Zip file are displayed.  If the file is a type that the BlackBerry can handle (like a .TXT file), when I click on one of the file names, that part of the Zip file is retrieved and displayed.

With the Zip File contents displayed, I can also hit [Menu] and Download Attachment, but that will download the Zip file which can not be used on the BlackBerry without a third party add-on.  Unfortunately, without a third party application, there is no way to access the contents of the Zip file other than to view them as the email attachment.  If the content is text, you can select and copy the text when viewing the contents of the Zip file.

Message Edited by JerryD on 11-17-2008 06:12 AM
Jerry
New Contributor

Thanks Jerry for your reply.

I should add that I'm on T-Mobile (UK), and that this Save Attachment feature isn't available for any file types.

My users want to be able to recieve and save a file and then remove the SD Media Card to put into their laptop.

The 5Mb limit sucks, but I'm hoping that the custom blackberry software I've written will get over that issue.

David.

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Make sure they have Enterprise Service, and they're not connecting through a BIS connection to your OWA.

Also, make sure they have the Attachment Service installed. This is part of the OS for the device.

This should not be an issue as far as the carrier is concerned.  We have t-Mobile (US) at the company I work for and support BlackBerries, and we don't have this issue.

Jerry
New Contributor

The Attachment Server tab is in the Blackberry Service Configuration, and was installed by default two years ago, with our Blackberry 8700 that we used to have.

I'm pretty sure that everything is being configured using the BES, and not a redirector to OWA.

I can open attachments on the Blackberry and view them, just not save to media.

David

New Contributor

Half a day wasted so far trying to figure this one out.

I have read both KB documents KB15211 and KB15210 but neither are any help for the Administrator (ie. me).

I imagine that it is a setting somewhere in the IT policy but I cannot see it, or do not have the option.

I have even downloaded the (latest) complete list of IT policy descriptions and cannot see it listed:
http://eu.blackberry.com/eng/ataglance/security/it_policy.jsp

David

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

You indicate you have BES 4.1 SP2 ...

You need 4.1 SP5+ with HH OS 4.5+ to download natively ...

KB15211 - How to download and save an email message attachment in its native file format

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor

The solution is to upgrade the BES to 4.1 SP6.

A helpful tip when upgrading - always ensure that you are logged into the BES Administrator account as the services get access using the account you install with.  Hence why the emails didn't work for about half an hour after the upgrade.

David 

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

DavidDixon wrote:

The solution is to upgrade the BES to 4.1 SP6.

A helpful tip when upgrading - always ensure that you are logged into the BES Administrator account as the services get access using the account you install with.  Hence why the emails didn't work for about half an hour after the upgrade.

David 

Emails don't work for x amount of time after an upgrade ... well, not really.  It depends on the mailboxes, folders being scanned, number of users, and resources available to the server.  When a BES is restarted all of the mailboxes that are monitored for redirection need to be rescanned to make sure messages get delivered; that is why there is a delay.

KB04789 - Restarting the BlackBerry Enterprise Server services may cause delays in message delivery

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/