Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Script to zip BES Log files

[ Edited ]
BES has the ability to automatically purge old log files as a built-in function of BES. You can go to BlackBerry Server Configuration and change how long the server will keep the logs before purging them, but you can't do the same for SMS/PIN/Phone logs.

Regardless, I'm a log junkie. Much like a scale doesn't lie; the logs don't lie ... and I hate to get rid of them; so much that I really have no problem keeping them for a year or more. There is so much value in them, and they really don't take up all the much space if you zip them up ... even in very busy environment. But, if you leave logs as uncompressed text, you could easily see a volume fill up and you'll be out of space wondering what the heck is going on.

That said, to address a few of my desires:

1) To have logs for as long as possible
2) To not waste disk space unnecessarily
3) To make troubleshooting easier
4) To make planning easier (the next time you need an upgrade you can use the data in these logs to backup your claims / requests)

I've put together this mega-simple script which can really be modified to just about anything ... just be gentle with it because if you change things around you could easily be deleting entire file systems instead of just zipping up some aging log files.

Attached is a zip file with 3 files:

zip.exe (duh)
forfiles.exe (command to iterate the zip command)
go.cmd (script that you execute)

... and here is the contents of go.cmd:

@ECHO OFF
REM -- Script to individually zip BES Log files ...
REM -- Place this file along with forfiles.exe and zip.exe in the root directory of your BlackBerry Logs folder
REM -- By Default: C:\Program Files\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs
REM -- This will zip all TXT files in the current and all sub-directories 10 days old or older
REM -- 4/23/2008 - Updated to delete old files / directories
REM -- Change "-d-90" if you want to delete files at an age different than 90 days
REM -- Uncomment the REM -- lines at the bottom if you actually want it to do deletion

forfiles.exe -p. -s -m*.txt -d-10 -c"zip -m @FILE.zip @FILE"

REM -- forfiles.exe -p. -s -d-90 -m*.txt -c"cmd /c if @ISDIR==FALSE del /q /f @FILE"
REM -- forfiles.exe -p. -s -d-90 -m*.csv -c"cmd /c if @ISDIR==FALSE del /q /f @FILE"
REM -- forfiles.exe -p. -s -d-90 -m*.zip -c"cmd /c if @ISDIR==FALSE del /q /f @FILE"
REM -- forfiles.exe -p. -s -d-90 -m*.* -c"cmd /c if @ISDIR==TRUE rd /q @FILE"

Here's a breakdown of what the command is doing:

forfiles.exe (The forfiles command, to iterate through all the log files)
-p. (The starting point for the filelist. "." means the current working directory that forfiles.exe is located in)
-s (Recurse subdirectories)
-m*.txt (Process all .TXT files)
-d-10 (10 days old or older)
-c"zip -m @FILE.zip @FILE" (The command to execute on each file. @FILE represents the current file being processed. zip -m tells it to zip the file and move the file into the zip, therefore removing the original .TXT file. Then the next time this gets run it won't have to zip the file again.)

Put these 3 files in the root of your BES Logs directory ... by default it is: "C:\Program Files\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs" and schedule go.cmd as a task to run nightly; you'll keep the last 10 days of logs easily accessible and older logs on the file system, just compressed.

I had thought about having each day zip into a single file, but then the structure of what is there gets modified ... I wanted to keep it simple, keep the directory / file structure as it was, but just compress the files.
Message Edited by AndyDufresne on 09-05-2008 09:08 AM
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
New Contributor
speed327
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Script to zip BES Log files

Thanks.

BES System Administrator -
BES (4.1.6) with 71 Users
Windows Server 2003 SP1
Contributor
ScRaSh
My Device: 8520

Excellent tool, thanks!
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

You're welcome; glad to help!
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Just gave this a good workout. 12 gig of weblogs squished into 1. Did not max out CPU either.:smileyhappy:

I just might use this on the BES too.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Jonnie

Superb, many thanks for this. I had over 19GB of log files & was reluctant to delete them, this has saved me so much time.

New Contributor
Rhodan

Is there a way to get it to zip each day into a seperate zip file in the root location of the log directory, and then remove that dailys logs?
texaschapa
My Device: Curve 8330

Here's a question from an absolute novice.

Where do I input this script?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Put the 3 files in the root of your BES Logs directory ... by default it is: "C:\Program Files\Research in Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Logs"

2 schedule go.cmd as a task to run nightly; you'll keep the last 10 days of logs easily accessible and older logs on the file system, just compressed.

um thats about it.

or you can manually run the go.cmd, it is your choice.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Visitor
endry
My Device: 9800

thanks