Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
lewok
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Server upgrade and migration

looking for some advice about how to do a migration from one version to another on an upgrade OS and SQL version.

current set up

Sever 2003

BES 5.2

SQL MSDE 2005

Physical Hardware

connecting to Exchange 2007

Where i want to go:

Server 2008 R2

BES 5.4

SQL Express 2008

Virtual harware and old physical one turned off.

connecting to Exchange 2007

Ideally i don't want any downtime but these things happen, but i really can't afford to have any handsets wiped.

I am using the same accounts for both servers, same policies etc.

Lee

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Server upgrade and migration

Do this first
KB03112 - How to move the BlackBerry Configuration Database to a new Microsoft SQL Server instance

Then you can do a fail over to new hardware after and upgrade to latest version

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB22499

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
lewok
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up using a different path for safety. I ended up moving 5-10 users at a time to prove it works.

I built a new server, configured it the same as the old one using the toolkit to back up/import the policies. Then used the transporter to move users over and everything works as it should with zero downtime and none of the end users know anything has changed :Clap:

I have now reached a problem with this method though. I have 25 spare licences so i used the limit of 20 with my trial licence then removed 2 x 10 user licences from my old server, removed the trial licence and put in the 2 x 10. Sounds great eh?

Problem is someone in the past has bought a 50 user licence and i only have 25 spare to play with. Can i use the same licence on both servers for the hour it will take to migrate the users or am i going to have to beg our reseller for smaller licences?

Thanks

Lee

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

You can use the same CALs on both for short time, I have done so before

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.