Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Service book corruption

We have recently had a rash of devices that can only retrieve the fax number when doing a lookup against the Exchange address book.  I know the fix is to delete the service books and resend a new set, but what would have caused a large number of units (but not all) to have this problem?
posted by DigitalFrog
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Service book corruption

There is probably more that we need to know about this problem, in order to help you. I wouldn't categorize this as being 'corruption'. Can you please provide some more detail?

:smileyhappy:

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Sorry, service book corruption was the way it was phrased on the website I found the solution (don't remember where).

Essentially, we have had a number of users report that when they do a Lookup against the Exchange addressbook, it only returns the employees fax number, and doesn't show the other phone numbers they have in their profile.  We have had this happen once or twice before, but lately we've had about a dozen within the last week.  The fix of deleting the desktop service books and resending them has fixed the problem in all cases.  I am wondering what would cause the problem.  We are currently running BES 4.1.4.16 for MS Exchange, Exchange is 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 platform, currently we have 240 units deployed on this server.  MS SQL2000 is installed on the same box.  Only pattern I have noticed is that most of the affected units have been 7130 and 8700 series.

posted by DigitalFrog

[ Edited ]
Are you deleting the Desktop [ALP] service books exclusively? Can you please check to see what information is in one of the Desktop [ALP] service books before you delete it and after you get the new one? This may provide us with further information that can be helpful.
Message Edited by TheOracle on 04-01-2008 09:53 PM
New Contributor

If deleting the service books is not good enuff, you can always opt to delete the service book database:

Clear the service book or service book database

Retired

rekraine wrote:

If deleting the service books is not good enuff, you can always opt to delete the service book database:

Clear the service book or service book database

Thanks for adding another idea! My thought however, is that we should focus on what is causing the problem and what information we can learn (while a user is in the state of impact). Additional measures of diagnosis should come before executing any workaround, if the intent is to determine the actual root cause.
:smileyhappy: