Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

pedrora
My Device: Not Specified

Setting "Out of office" reply in Outlook 2003 "ruins" the BB device

I manage a small company with the following setup:

BES Server 4.1

Exchange Server 2003

Office 2003 with Outlook

+/- 30 BB devices (various models) 

In the last two weeks 4 BB devices went corrupt in different ways, ranging from just showing the last 10 e-mails (this one solved by resending the service book to the device) to showing only 10 e-mails, deleting all SMS messages immediatly and beeing unable to store any call logs (this one yet to be solved).

I found a common constant: all 4 users were absent from office and had 'Out of office' replies setup from within Outlook 2003. Their devices started showing malfunction immediatly after the 'Out of office' reply was setup.

In the 3 most severe cases wiping the handheld did not solve the issue. I had two unassigned devices to replace 2 of them. The 3rd is pending a solution.

I don't really know how to solve this one. Any help pointing me to the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor
FaceMan
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Setting "Out of office" reply in Outlook 2003 "ruins" the BB device

From your description above it sounds like the device's are running out of memory. When this occurs, the device will run a cleanup and delete old emails, sms, and other items. (can't remember the other it does them in). Soon as someone says their emails/sms got deleted except the last few, have them go into options/status and see what filesfree is currently at. If its zero then you know that is the problem. ALso if someone complains about their device hour glassing , have them take a look there as well.

I believe this was also caused by a memory leak but it should've been addressed in a newer handheld code. There are a few posts on the handheld forum where people talk about device memory. Might be worth to take a look through.

Please use plain text.