Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
monsterrick
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Sync issue?

We have in-house BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Exchange (2003) running and have all users using wireless sync.

A user who uses 8100 and having calendar/inbox/contact not sync with 8100 properly.  Sometime 10 new messages in Outlook and the 8100 only received one.  Several hours later, the rest of new message came in one batch.

The user then installed Desktop Manager 4.3 on his computer and set the calendar and contact sync.

Question:  Will both wireless sync set on server and Desktop Manager sync also enabled cause issue?  Like duplicate entries?

Another reason this user want to have DM because he wants the calendar able to show all items.  If left the wireless sync as default, only limited days range will be available.

Question:  Is it possible to unrestrict the days limit of calendar item using wireless sync for one user?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Sync issue?

try fixing the actual issue rather than going to DTM.

wats the version of BES, try assiging this user to a static agent on BES and test. also you can try moving his mailbox to another mail store on Exch or remove from BES and wipe device and readd to BES and Enterprise Activate.

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
monsterrick

Thanks for your suggestion

We are using BES 4.1.4.16

We have replaced his computer, reinstalled Office 2003, changed with a different 8100, wipe the device, re-activate the account, moved to another Exchange server .... but no help.

But I don't know how to assign static agent.  Can you tell me how?

Can BRK help to identify the root cause?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh

[ Edited ]

static agent: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB12766

also have you removed and readded user to BES before wiping?

also if this is the only affected user on BES, it seems to be a mailbox issue. you can try creating a new mailbox and then restore his backup

Message Edited by BBsingh on 08-06-2008 11:46 PM
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
monsterrick

We did remove and readded user before wiping.

Forgot to mention, the mailbox had been recreated as well.

Will try the static agent.

Do you have any idea for my other question regarding the days restriction for calendar items?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
BBsingh

Question:  Will both wireless sync set on server and Desktop Manager sync also enabled cause issue?  Like duplicate entries? yes it might cause this issue and it also might stop future wireless SNYC or can bring duplicates

Question:  Is it possible to unrestrict the days limit of calendar item using wireless sync for one user? NO, its limited, does not get everything like last yeats calendar

Please use plain text.
Contributor
monsterrick

Excellent BBsingh.

For the first question, do you know if BlackBerry/RIM has a techincal document saying it is not recommend to switch between wireless and Desktop sync?  It will be easier to stop people doing this.

Too bad for answer on question two.  In such case, I can't stop him from using the DM. :smileysad:

Anyway thanks for your posts.

Please use plain text.
Super Contributor
JerryD
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

[ Edited ]

Whew! One thing at a time...

First, the message burst problem is most likely a problem with the user's BES account. That said, it could also be an issue with conflicts in the user's Calendar. These are difficult to identify, and ScanOST neither finds nor fixes them. The only way to find and fix them is to manually inspect the calendar. For complete instructions, check this post:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?t=43580

Second, it depends on how Desktop Manager was set up as to whether or not it will cause a problem. If it was set up for Enterprise service on a computer with Outlook configured for its connection to the Exchange server the BES account links to, there shouldn't be a problem. If it was set up for Internet service and connected to Outlook, you will very likely have duplicate entries for everything. This is easily remedied. First, on the BlackBerry set Wireless Synchronization to NO on all the PIM applications (Address Book, Calendar, Memos, and Tasks). Next, connect to Desktop Manager, go into the Backup application, go to the Advanced button where the device's databases will be listed. Hold down [Control] and select the four PIM databases (Address Book, Calendar, Memos, and Tasks), then hit the [Clear] button. This will delete ALL the entries in each of these applications. Now go back into each application and set Wireless Synchronization to Yes. All the data from Exchange (Outlook) should be synced back to the device.

Finally, to keep all appointments, go into the Calendar on the BlackBerry, hit the [Menu] button and select Options. Scroll ALL THE WAY DOWN and set Keep Appointments to Forever. This is NOT recommended for someone with a very full calendar. More than about 2,000 appointments can cause problems (I'm guessing at the number, but I had a user that had over 4,500 appointments and it really hosed his BlackBerry - he had added every holiday for every country to his Outlook calendar!). Scroll to the very last line in Options to see how many entries there are (recurring entries only count once).

Incidentally, this can also be set in Desktop Manager under Synchronization if DM is set up for Enterprise on a machine with Outlook connected to its Exchange server.

Message Edited by JerryD on 08-07-2008 06:05 AM
Jerry
Please use plain text.
Contributor
monsterrick

Thanks Jerry.

I would keep this in mind.  It is an useful information to me as well. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.