Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
EHLbackberry
My Device: Not Specified

The description for Event ID ( 20406 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found HELP!

We have a windows 2003 enterprise server hosting Blackberry Enterprise and exchange 2003.  We rebooted our box and ever since it came back up we are receiving this error and now none of our blackberry users can recieve or send emails.  We have 22 users on our blackberry server.  Please help!

The description for Event ID ( 20406 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 'EMSMAIL-BB' agent 1: will not restart - reached the maximum of 10 restarts per 24 hours.

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: The description for Event ID ( 20406 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found HELP!

Well ... you've found the #1 reason to not install BES on your Exchange Server.

You need to do something similiar to what is recommended as a solution for people using BPS with a local SQL database ...

KB15017 - BlackBerry Professional Software database-dependent services do not start when using Micro...

You need to delay the start of your BES Services ... I'll put together a script ... gimme a bit.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

Re: The description for Event ID ( 20406 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Controller ) cannot be found HELP!

[ Edited ]

Use this (Built from BES 4.1 SP6 ... your service names may be slightly different.  Note the service name, NOT  display name)  It will delay BlackBerry services from starting by 5 minutes:

Set ServerName = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network") Set Computer = GetObject("WinNT://" & ServerName.ComputerName & ",computer") Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry Router") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then WScript.Sleep(5*60*1000) Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry Dispatcher") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry Controller") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry Server Alert") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BBAttachServer") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry Collaboration Service") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry MDS Connection Service") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "MDSIS") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry Policy Service") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If Set Service = Computer.GetObject("service", "BlackBerry SyncServer") If Service.StartType = 2 and Service.Status <> 4 Then Service.Start End If

Message Edited by AndyDufresne on 08-13-2008 06:23 PM

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
EHLbackberry

Thanks for your help I will give that shot.  Question though, I have restarted my blackberry services but I still get the same error message.  Should my blackberry services come up after I restart them?  I've never had this problem with a reboot on the box before.
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

The services will start but BES will not route mail.

You need to restart the entire OS when you get that message.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
MindIT

I get the following error when I try and run this script on the server.

Line: 53

Char: 8

Error: Unterminated entity reference - Matchin ';' not found.

Code: 80040008

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
robynedwards
My Device: Network Admin-several different models
My Carrier: AT&T

Restarted the OS and it worked like a charm...thanks!

Please use plain text.