Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
cartwrightn
My Device: Not Specified

Upgrade Blackberry Manager on A remote machine

According to the documentation I have ot Iam not suppose to install many of the tools on the my BES 4.0 Server.  So I have installed the blackberry Manager on my local machine and connected it to the same database.  The problem is that Blackberry Manager that the bes is using has a higher version number then the version that is on the CD. 

So I went to the downloads section of the blackberry website and found the latest and greatest update for the server.  When I tried to install it I recieved the error message that the patch tht I am attempting to install cannot find the application.  Keep in mind that this is being done on a machine that I am going to use for monitoring the bes, not the bes itself.  

How can I upgrade just the blackberry manager of my monitoring (local) machine?  

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Upgrade Blackberry Manager on A remote machine

Install the version on your CD and then apply the service pack / update you downloaded.

If you're doing the administration ... I personally disagree with the documentation and simply login directly to the server to perform administrative tasks.

I've had far too many problems / performance issues with remote BlackBerry Manager consoles to bother with it anymore.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor
cartwrightn

Using the tools that are on the server would be a great option if it were not for the concern of having problem with the production server.  The problem is we are trying to solve is two fold.  One we want to be able to use the resource kit to analyse the logs from the BES.

Two.  We need to be able to have more then one person have access to the bes and all the tools at a time in order to support the users that we have here.  So as I am sure you can see it is best that we have something remote that we all can use.  Granted it is great that we can do to the server an make something happen but when there is a problem, well, one is a lonely number.

Perhapes you can suggest a better way to analyze the logs from the bes? 
Or maybe you can suggest another way to use the tools in the resource kit to accomplish what we need to accomplish. 

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

You can use the resource kit tools on any machine ... I have the BRK tools on my PC along with every BES I touch.  You don't need the BES Manager to use the BRK tools.

You can easily do this with RDP ... I still don't see the value in having a remote BlackBerry Manager.

Contributor
cartwrightn

The idea is to have all the tools loaded on each Systems Administrators in the office so that in the event that any one person is not available to perform maintence on the bes anyone can do so remotely, without having to login to the BES via RDP.

If there is no other way that we can accomplish this then so be it but it would be nice to have this feature.  Secondly when attempting to installed the Resource Kit, more specifically the UserAdmin.  We can not get the service to start.  Again this is on a remote machine, not the BES as per the instructions.  Without this application we will have to continue to troubleshoot the debug files manually.   The error messages that are we are getting in the event viewer is the following; 

The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( BlackBerry User Administration Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Missing registry key (Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Admin).

We have checked the registry and made sure the keys that are said to be missing are infact present, however the service is still not starting.   

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

You can install the manager remotely; yes absolutely.  I just wouldn't ever recommend it.

Regarding the UserAdminService ... what user is the useradminservice running as?  LocalSystem or an actual user account?

Contributor
cartwrightn

To answer your system and according to the instructions the useradminservice is initially running a domain user account.  Later on, again as per the instructions the account is supposed to be changed to LocalSystem. 

*Special note

The domain user account that is being used does have administrator rights on the local machine and on the BES.

Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

Login as the user that the BESUserAdminService was installed as

open registry to HKCU\Software\Research in Motion

Export Admin Key (and all subkeys / values)

Edit .reg and change:

HKCU\

to

HKLM\.DEFAULT\

also remove any carriage returns after passwords ... such as:

Password="sdf34jrtjfkg

"

should be:

Password="sdf34jrtjfkg"

Restart service and try again.

Contributor
cartwrightn

[ Edited ]

I feel like the dummiest system admin on earth right about now. I know that this is not rocket science but I still cannot figure it out. When the registry keys are entered we are still recieveing the same error message in the event log. The message that we are getting is below.

The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( BlackBerry User Administration Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Missing registry key (Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Admin).

The following is the key that we exported from the local machines registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Admin]
"ClientPassword"="<password>"
"Platform"="exchange"
"MAPIProfile"="BlackBerryServer"
"DBServer"="<blackberry servername>"
"DBName"="BESMgmt"

As you might have guessed I have take the items that might be a security risk and placed them in <>. Also the system would not accept the key unless I removed the ".Default" from the string.

With these changes made the service will still not start. Is there anything else that you or anyone can suggest to resolve this issue?

The error that we are getting in the Application Log, in event viewer reads as follows;

Does it matter that the application is in the following location "C:\Bes" .

Message Edited by cartwrightn on 04-23-2008 12:41 PM
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

Oh crap!

HKLM\.DEFAULT\

should have been:

HKU\.DEFAULT

^^

HKEY_Users

SORRY!

Try that.