Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.1 SP6 - Do I need to set up the database connection?

Hi all,

I'm preparing to upgrade our BES from version 4.1.3.18 to 4.1 SP6 MR1 and using the upgrade guide for Lotus Domino. http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/2747/BESD_Upgrade_Guide_427926_11.pdf

I plan on simply overwriting our existing version (after backing it up of course).  Do I need to complete the section entitled "5. Setting up the Database Connection"?

Steps included:

Specifying MSDE 2000 permissions for the Microsoft Windows account
Assign Microsoft SQL Server permissions to the Microsoft Windows account
Assign IBM DB2 UDB permissions to a local system account
Configuring authentication to the BlackBerry MDS Integration Service database
Configure the local system account for Microsoft Windows authentication
Configuring the local system account for database authentication
Configure the local system account for database authentication by changing the registry
Configure the local system account for database authentication by changing the ODBC data source
Create Microsoft Windows groups for administrators in an IBM DB2 UDB
Configure authentication to the BlackBerry Configuration Database in an IBM DB2
UDB environment

Thanks in advance all.

Richard 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Server: BES 5.0
Mail: Exchange 2007
User Base: 160 devices
Model: BlackBerry Bold 9700
Carrier: Bell
Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

Re: Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.1 SP6 - Do I need to set up the database connection?

To upgrade from 4.1.3 to 4.1 SP6 MR1 you need to perform 2 upgrades

1) 4.1.3 to 4.1.6

2) 4.1.6 to 4.1.6 MR1

You should not need to make any changes to SQL unless you have done any custom permissions.

Simply perform the upgrade to 4.1.6 making sure whatever method you use to connect to SQL, the account used has the sys admin role.

Follow this: KB04882 - Best practices for installing a BlackBerry Enterprise Server service pack

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Contributor

Re: Upgrading from 4.1 to 4.1 SP6 - Do I need to set up the database connection?

This is exactly the information I needed.  There are some steps in the best practices document that are not in the install documentation.

Thanks again!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JMA
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I am soon doing the exact same upgrade.  Thanks for the information.  Can you provide any details about any changes the BB users will see from this upgrade?  Anything?  I want to give them some warning of what to expect, if necessary.  Thanks again.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

New service books will be sent and depending on the amount of

users and bandwidth, it could take some time to send them all out.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Forums Veteran II

JMA wrote:
I am soon doing the exact same upgrade.  Thanks for the information.  Can you provide any details about any changes the BB users will see from this upgrade?  Anything?  I want to give them some warning of what to expect, if necessary.  Thanks again.

How many users do you have?  How many mailbox servers do you have?  What mail platform?

JMA
New Contributor

One Domino server (7.0.1, soon to be 8.x), about 45 BB users.  I won't alert them to changes if it's service books only, I was more concerned with any changes in the handheld that would concern/confuse them.  Thanks again...
Forums Veteran II

JMA wrote:
One Domino server (7.0.1, soon to be 8.x), about 45 BB users.  I won't alert them to changes if it's service books only, I was more concerned with any changes in the handheld that would concern/confuse them.  Thanks again...

The big things they'll notice:

HTML / Rich Text email (if they have HH os 4.5 or above)

Ability to remotely search for messages in a mailbox from the HH ... so if a user has deleted a message from the HH but not the mailbox it can still be viewed via this remote search (introduced in BES 4.1 SP5 ... also requires 4.5 HH OS) ... For Domino, you must have a full text index of the mailbox.

Contributor

Just a quick note.  Like ANdy was saying, they will primarily only notice a differenc if they are using firmware 4.5 or above.  I have about 200 users here and none are the wiser that a server upgrade took place (mind you I did send out an implementation saying that they wouldn't get email on their Berries until the upgrade as complete).

I'd also like to add that the entire install took about an hour, minus the resending of service books.  It was very painless, especially using the Best Practices guide above.

RR

JMA
New Contributor

Very useful information, as usual.  Thanks again...