Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

New Contributor
Konos
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Upgrading from BES 4.0.2.8 to 4.0.7 MR3 - LIVE?!

Hi guys, a quick question for you. As noted above I'm currently in a 4.0.2.8 environment but would like to upgrade to 4.0.7 MR3. I've read elsewhere on here that I should go to 4.0.4 FIRST then to 4.0.7 - do most of you agree with that additional step? Also, I'd like to do this during the day while we are "live". Keep in mind we are only talking about a dozen users here so a reboot here or there isn't going to cause any problem. I'm just wondering if this is a process that will take the BES down for more than say half an hour?

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne
My Device: Bold

Re: Upgrading from BES 4.0.2.8 to 4.0.7 MR3 - LIVE?!

I would go directly to 4.0 SP7 ... I'm not sure who told you to go to 4.0.4 first (I hope it wasn't me), but you don't need to from 4.0 SP2
------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Konos

Thanks Andy, and no I don't believe it was you. Can I get your opinion on doing the upgrade during regular business hours?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

There's a part of me that hates doing upgrades during business hours ... because if something happens you're firefighting to get everything back and working.  But when you do an upgrade during the day you get instant feedback on functionality.  I'd say if you can deal with a 4 hour outage (assume the worst, you've got to restore from backup / reinstall) then go for it during the day.

If it were me, with a group that small and only a service pack update being applied I'd try to do it at lunch time after getting approval for a 30 minute downtime ... but I live on the edge :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Konos

[ Edited ]

I too like living on the edge - so I did it at lunchtime - worked like a charm! It took about 10 minutes though for messages to start forwarding to the phones though so I was a little bit nervous for a few minutes :smileyhappy:

I mainly did this so that I could get .WAV files to play on my 8100 but despite this update and the fact that I'm running the latest software on my phone I still get that stupid "This attachment type cannot be viewed on your device." error. (Blackberry Attachment Service is running on the phone - v4.5)

I guess its back to the drawing board.

EDIT: It did work - but only for newly left voice messages since the upgrade! Sweet!

Message Edited by Konos on 06-24-2009 02:35 PM
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

woot :smileyhappy:

I was gonna say if not check this out:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Konos

Well, since doing the upgrade everything is fine with the exception of Domain Admin accounts. I know I've had this problem before (the red X when someone with Domain Admins tries to send an email from their BB) and had fixed it but nothing I do now seems to work. I add the besadmin account under the SECURITY tab of the affected users but 15 or so minutes later the account is gone. I've even tried adding the besadmin account back in as per Blackberry.com KB04707 and turning the phone off for 2 hours and still no luck. I've also deleted the phone from Blackberry Manager and re-activated. Any other useful articles that might help with this? Or is there some magic order of enabling, disabling, restarting that I'm missing?
Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran II
AndyDufresne

neither the BESAdmin nor any user accounts should be a member of Domain Admins.

You can read more about the AdminSDHolder container at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772662%28WS.10%29.aspx

That said, I really recommend (as does RIM and Microsoft) that you not modify AdminSDHolder and instead make sure no one there is a part of Domain Admins.  Every day user accounts shouldn't be Domain Admins.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

AndyDufresne wrote:

That said, I really recommend (as does RIM and Microsoft) that you not modify AdminSDHolder and instead make sure no one there is a part of Domain Admins.  Every day user accounts shouldn't be Domain Admins.

You can't stress that enough.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Konos

[ Edited ]

Gee Andy, and I thought you liked to live dangerously! :smileyhappy: All kidding aside I totally agree with you guys and I've expressed that concern to the powers that be but you know how some people are about change.

For anyone else who's trying to find a solution for this there's a very straightforward solution posted here: http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/forums/microsoft-exchange/1178-unlisted-message-error-desktop-ema... 

I should note that I didn't have to include the DOMAINNAME after the /G in step 3 - in fact if I put the domain name in I got an error indicating that there was no such account. It wasn't until I found a similar solution on Microsoft's website that they had the same line of code listed without the domain name - dsacls "cn=adminsdholder,cn=system,dc=domainname,dc=c om " /G "BESadmin:CA;Send As"

Message Edited by Konos on 06-26-2009 12:07 PM
Please use plain text.